Sales Tax - how to figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax - how to figure

Does anyone know how to take what the sales tax is and figure out the gross sales? For example: Sales Tax is $20.78, what was the original dollar that the sales tax was figured at using 5% sales tax? Hopefully you understand what I mean. Someone had given me the formula on how to figure the sale and I can't find it. Thank you for your help.

Here's my "old math"

5/100 = 20.78/x
    5x = 2078
    x = $415.60

JoshInNC

Comment

I hated algebra

divide 20.78 by .05

Comment

Formulas

Well, the taxable amount for that was $415.60 and you just divide the $20.78 by five to get that figure (don't put any decimals in the $20.78 when dividing).

Usually the amount people are working with is the combined total of sale and sales tax. In that case, you divide by one hundred and five (or four or six or whatever the sales tax rate is).

Comment

Shoot

At last something I knew that didn't need Bees to answer it. I should have known somebody would be faster on the draw -- you two showoffs.

P.S. Make that four showoffs.
          Last edited by Black Bart; 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Work for IRS?

Originally posted by Unregistered
            5/100 = 20.78/x
            5x = 2078
            x = $415.60

JoshInNC
            This is the complicated way to get to the answer. Did you work with the IRS in your prior life? Designing their form 6251 or Capital Gains Tax Calculation?

Veritas had the simple answer. Use it!
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Flunked Algebra the first time.

Comment

I always remember it as.. if you multiplied something by the % then divide the result by the % to get the something. Huh!!!

Comment

Huckleberry?

I saw that movie and know that Val Kilmer meant he was willing to fight the bad guy, but where did that expression come from and what was the original meaning of it?

Comment

After doing a little looking around I believe it meant in this case Doc Holliday was telling Ringo he was the right man for the job.

The quote was in response to Johnny Ringo when he said "wretched slugs, don't any of you have the guts to play for blood?"

The movie I think was pretty accurate overall and Val Kilmer played an awesome Doc Holliday.

I especially liked the scene in the bar when Doc imitates and humilates Ringo with his silver drinking cup.

Here is Ringo's final resting spot. Was he murdered or was it suicide?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by veritas; 11-02-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Agree

Kilmer was just great in that role. I thought he should have been nominated for (and deserved to win) "Best Supporting Actor" for playing it.

The only thing I can think of about the "I'm your huckleberry" statement is that it must have been a 19th-century saying meaning (as you said) someone is the right man for a job.

Has it turned cold in Oregon yet? 35 degrees in Arkansas tonight.

Comment

It's about 45 and raining pretty good.

Comment

Movies

I'm a fan of Western movies. There's an excellent older one about Earp, Tombstone, etc. starring Henry Fonda called "My Darling Clementine" from 1946. Ever seen it?

Comment

No I haven't seen that one. Does Fonda play Earp and who Plays Doc?

I have to say that Doc Holliday is the one that facinates me the most. I think people don't have an apprecaition that he was very well educated. From what I have read in school his favorite class was rhetoric. Then of course he went off to Dental college in Pennsylvania.

Comment

I once was channel surfing and found a movie by Joel Mccrea called "Stars in my Crown". It is about post civil war and Mccrae who is a preacher in a town dealing with a non believer played by Dean Stockwell. It is a thorougly christian movie which was incredible to see since Hollywood would never make a movie like it today. I was so taken by it I ordered it online in vhs.

I highly recommend it.
                              Last edited by veritas; 11-03-2006, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X