Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clients-who needs um!

Just venting

Client walk in to my office on 4/1/06 to get some payroll . I say hey what about your s-corp and personal return. I got you an extension for s-corp but what about 1040. He says get me extension and gives me estimates of other income and expenses. I tell him ok but we have to get the actual figures to complete so give me a call when you have them.

6/22/06 client calls with bookkeeping question, I again remind him verbal of tax returns and deadlines.He say ok will call me couple of weeks.

9/1/06 send out letter to all clients yet to file telling them of deadline.

10/19/06 Client calls today upset because I didn't file his return by 10/16/06.

I also called him a left a msg on 10/5/06.

I mean how far am I to go? How far do you guys and gals go?

Anyhow he just set me off! He actually said that he thought I would do his returns automatically.

My response was sure all I have to worry about is you not the other 700 or so clients that need me.

I'm going to guess he's a contractor.

My friend who is one explained it like this "We are like artists so we don't do well with paperwork". My friend must be Vincent van Gogh.

Comment

Just Venting II

I had a similar client in the construction business. Schedule C. He thought he would save money by having his checking account set up at the bank with no checks or deposit slips to be returned. The bank sent only a statement, with dates, dollar amounts, and check numbers. I told him that I needed the detail to do his Schedule C. He said he didn't make any money and to show that! Duh!

After the extension ran out, and I kept bugging him for the detail, he went to the bank. The bank wanted $1,000 in advance to copy the checks and deposit slips for a year. He refused to pay them. Next year comes along and he is getting IRS notices. Nothing I can do. He picked what information I had and went elsewhere, mad. Whatever.

I still sleep well at night. Didn't bother me that he left. In fact, any client that wants to leave is fine with me. There are more where they came from.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers
        I still sleep well at night. Didn't bother me that he left. In fact, any client that wants to leave is fine with me. There are more where they came from.
        And the odds are the new one want be a problem one. The best thing I ever did several years ago was to tell several clients goodbye.

OldJack

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
          I'm going to guess he's a contractor.

My friend who is one explained it like this "We are like artists so we don't do well with paperwork". My friend must be Vincent van Gogh.

Close but actually he was a bar owner. I guess it is almost the same.

Comment

Firing Clients

The last two years I have fired P*I*T*A clients. You know those: always late with information but want it out now, those with "questionable" information, fee complainers, etc. I go through my client list every December now and pick out one or two that I can live without. I send them a nice "changing my style of business & their return doesn't fit" letter.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers
              The last two years I have fired P*I*T*A clients. You know those: always late with information but want it out now, those with "questionable" information, fee complainers, etc. I go through my client list every December now and pick out one or two that I can live without. I send them a nice "changing my style of business & their return doesn't fit" letter.

Jiggers good for you! I think I might do this myself this year.

I have one in mind. He admitted to me he didn't report 60k in income all cash. Guess what I told him he needs to give me a correct accounting of his income or his return will just sit there. Still have not heard back from him.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-tax

I mean how far am I to go? How far do you guys and gals go?
                I do their extension at their request, but don't call or write. If they are upset about not being reminded I then remind them that how was I to know they didn't do the return themselves or go somewhere else? They have to call and make an appointment just like they would have done if it were tax season.
                JG

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA
                  I do their extension at their request, but don't call or write. If they are upset about not being reminded I then remind them that how was I to know they didn't do the return themselves or go somewhere else? They have to call and make an appointment just like they would have done if it were tax season.

I hear ya JG Ea I kind a feel the same . I thought maybe I was going a liitle over extra for my clients.

Comment

Trouble Clients

As my Chiropractor says when I don't follow her advice....

The pain is not in my body.

I lose no sleep over a person like that, but will be very nice when they finally come in. The demand is usually pretty strong when they come in so the premium pricing policy goes into effect.

Keep them when they come in with the certified letters get money up front to fix ti.

Mahaol

Bjorn VondenKlingenbrow

Comment

Working...
                    X