Sued for Tax Advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sued for Tax Advice??

Sea-Tax purports that the possibility of being sued for giving advice on this tax board is so remote as to be practically nonexistent. I'm starting this new post to focus on this issue of suing instead of being merely a sub-plot in the poll below. And I'm answering Sea-Tax as well, although obviously the subject is fair game for anyone else.

First and foremost, let's see who's REALLY worried about being known. Many times I have given my real name - Ron Jordan. My contact information is in the registration information under "Snaggletooth." Just click on it, and you'll get everything you need to know about me. Manchester is on I-24 in middle Tennessee - just get off the interstate and ask -- everyone in town knows where to find me.

What about my friend Sea-Tax? He posted for the longest under as unregistered and ole Black Bart finally talked him into getting a handle. We do know he's somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and that's about it. I respect his wishes for privacy, as I do anyone who does not wish to be traced.

As far as the remote possibility of being sued? Sea-Tax, I hope you're right about this. I think users of this board are sufficiently caveated. (Geez, is that a word???) But imagine doing a Google like I did once, and an old post from the QuickFinder board was accessed. I was giving advice in this particular post, and as it turns out, the advice was wrong, or best suspicious.

Coctail Parties

To sue for advice on this board, is like suing an accountant for giving wrong advice at a coctail party. This is an open formum free discussion board, and the average person on the street would reason that the advice, while coming from a knowdegable person, may be incorrect. IF we were liable for what we say on this board, then no one would be using discussion boards. Same for calling into a talk radio show, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletoof
      Sea-Tax purports that the possibility of being sued for giving advice on this tax board is so remote as to be practically nonexistent. I'm starting this new post to focus on this issue of suing instead of being merely a sub-plot in the poll below. And I'm answering Sea-Tax as well, although obviously the subject is fair game for anyone else.

First and foremost, let's see who's REALLY worried about being known. Many times I have given my real name - Ron Jordan. My contact information is in the registration information under "Snaggletooth." Just click on it, and you'll get everything you need to know about me. Manchester is on I-24 in middle Tennessee - just get off the interstate and ask -- everyone in town knows where to find me.

What about my friend Sea-Tax? He posted for the longest under as unregistered and ole Black Bart finally talked him into getting a handle. We do know he's somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and that's about it. I respect his wishes for privacy, as I do anyone who does not wish to be traced.

As far as the remote possibility of being sued? Sea-Tax, I hope you're right about this. I think users of this board are sufficiently caveated. (Geez, is that a word???) But imagine doing a Google like I did once, and an old post from the QuickFinder board was accessed. I was giving advice in this particular post, and as it turns out, the advice was wrong, or best suspicious.
      Ron- You have provided your own personal info because of your own free will , no one here has asked for it or rquired it and I am not advocating that it be a requirement. Cause I do agree that there are many "wacko's out there".
      You are correct BB did chew my butt hard about not being registered and frankly so did a few others. I took that to heart and became registered. It made common sense so that you and other posters would be able to idenitify me from the other UR's. I only agreed with Old jack's post because I thought it made sense that it is much easier to follow a thread if you can keep straight who you are talking to. When you have a post with multiple UR postings you have a no clue as to which UR you should respond. This personally I find to be a big pain in the rear. And so far the moderator ,Bees , Brad and anyother tax book employee has yet to address my point.
      I agree this forum should be free but if the people posting have no clue who to respond to it becomes futile at best similar to the other site.

Comment

Almost amusing

Your mention of people who answer a question on the board, pretending they know about the subject when they do not. That reminds me of the people out there, and there are many, who, when ask driving directions on the steet; if they don't know the answer, they proceeds to direct the person as if they knew. Why do people do this? Some psycological need to sound intellegent perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-tax
          I only agreed with Old jack's post because I thought it made sense that it is much easier to follow a thread if you can keep straight who you are talking to. When you have a post with multiple UR postings you have a no clue as to which UR you should respond. This personally I find to be a big pain in the rear. And so far the moderator ,Bees , Brad and anyother tax book employee has yet to address my point.
          You know, if the board really wanted to solve the UR problem it would be easy. The program could simply check IP address when a post from a UR and assign a number or name (instead of "guest") for that IP for all posts until the IP address is properly registered with whatever the UR selects.

OldJack

Comment

You know, if the board really wanted to solve the UR problem it would be easy. The program could simply check IP address when a post from a UR and assign a number or name (instead of "guest") for that IP for all posts until the IP address is properly registered with whatever the UR selects.

OldJack
            Sounds good, but IP addresses can be change very easy.

Comment

Move on!!!!!

Originally posted by Unregistered

OldJack
              On another thread Brad stated why they have the posting rules they do and the intent to let unregitered post so why can't you just let it die.

I have learned from your posts as well as other knowledgable members of this board so if you ignore this board you will be missed. So quit it with your tantrum and move on. You seem to be well versed on computers as well as taxes so if you can't find it in yourself to move on maybe you should start your own message board and you can play by your own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-tax
                When you have a post with multiple UR postings you have a no clue as to which UR you should respond. This personally I find to be a big pain in the rear. And so far the moderator ,Bees , Brad and anyother tax book employee has yet to address my point.
                I agree this forum should be free but if the people posting have no clue who to respond to it becomes futile at best similar to the other site.

I agree that it becomes difficult to follow with multiple URs posting. I understand your point. But that does not justify banning URs from posting. Your inconvenience is not enough to turn this into a member’s only club.

I have suggested, and will suggest again. If you don’t like UR postings, then ignore them. Nobody says you have to read and respond to their posts. In fact, I fully understand the reason for not wanting to respond. Why give out free tax advice to someone who won’t identify themselves?

Again, having that opinion does not justify turning this into a club for members only. One reason this message board works better than other boards is that it is easy for people who don’t want to be identified or don’t want to bother with membership to participate. URs post all kinds of good responses here. At the same time, we all have the benefit of registering, if we want to. Registering helps protect your identity from imposters. And allows you to go back and edit or delete your posts. You have the freedom to choose how you wish to participate on this board.
                Last edited by Bees Knees; 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Bees my suggestion in no way was intended to make this forum a members only or to discriminate against others.

Thanks for your response I can not say I agree with your decision but I can at least respect that you were willing to answer my post.

I simply enjoy this forum and would hate for it to turn into some of those other forums that are out.

Comment

Working...
                  X