Heard out of Washington today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard out of Washington today

Some legislator is proposing that the IRS start preparing the more simpler tax returns for
    the taxpayers. This person says that if the taxpayer does not like the way the IRS prepared the return, then that person could prepare it himself and present it to the IRS
    with arguments as to why the personally prepared return should be accepted by the IRS.
    Also found out that all lien releases are sent to MN. to be processed. There are 3 people in that Dept. in MN. handling over 9000 lien releases. This was from an IRS liaison
    committee member.
    The one about IRS preparing returns was heard over the news.

Originally posted by Bird Legs
    Some legislator is proposing that the IRS start preparing the more simpler tax returns for
    the taxpayers. This person says that if the taxpayer does not like the way the IRS prepared the return, then that person could prepare it himself and present it to the IRS
    with arguments as to why the personally prepared return should be accepted by the IRS.
    Also found out that all lien releases are sent to MN. to be processed. There are 3 people in that Dept. in MN. handling over 9000 lien releases. This was from an IRS liaison
    committee member.
    The one about IRS preparing returns was heard over the news.
    For a long time the IRS has encouraged people to do their own returns and not hire tax professionals. And they've been preparing returns through Telefile (obsolete now I believe). Also teaming up with software providers for free online filing (which I have no problem with if it truly is a "simple" return). I don't believe it's any kind of new behavior.

Personally I believe it's especially irresponsible for the IRS to attempt to steer people away from tax professionals. It's not that I'm worried about business drying up, that won't happen. I compare it to an auto body shop that starts a campaign to encourage car owners to do their own brake work whether they know what they're doing or not. It's the epitome of conflict of interest. Sure, it causes the IRS a whole lot less trouble when taxpayers are unrepresented, but it does not serve the public interest.

It's no different than a DA's office encouraging people who are accused of crimes to represent themselves. Remember, in most cases the burden of proof is on the taxpayer.

Comment

Working...
    X