Help w/Lacerte (2003)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/Lacerte (2003)

I am trying to reconstruct and amend an extremely ill-prepared 2003 return. The original had no filing status, forced itemized deductions of $3,300 AND a personal exemption of $2,196 (don't ask!). I could go on, but won't.

I am trying to override some of the input lines, such as the filing status and personal exemption, but can't seem to locate the areas where I can do this successfully. I do know the Lacerte program, as I used it for years and have done what needs to be done to jump to these input fields, but I suspect I need to go somewhere else to do this and I just don't know where.

Can someone help? I DO NOT want to do this by hand!

Thank you,
    Dennis

Pro- series

Dennis, with Pro- series, I go to whatever line I want, then right click the mouse, then from the box that pops up choose override.
    Cannot tell you if this works with Lacerte or not.

Comment

Right-click

Bird Legs,

It's the same w/Lacerte. However, some of the areas on the return/program won't allow you to do this. The problem I'm having is I cannot rid the return of the any classification of filing status (as was on the original) and because of this, I cannot override the personal exemption.

I'm hoping there is a way to do this somewhere in the program. If you discover something, would you share it with me, as the two programs are somewhat similar?

Thanks,
      Dennis

Comment

Dennis, I use Lacerte, but I don't understand what you are trying to do, changing filing status doesn't seem to be a problem, what is the present filing status and what do you want to change it to? etc. etc.?

Comment

Dennis, I reread your post, I see your talking about the 1040x for 2003, if I put $2196 for personal exemption and $3300 for itemized deduction in the boxes under the column as originally reported--it seems to come out OK. on the 1040x.

Comment

1040x

Thanks, Jan,

This may be the way I have to go, to change a couple of areas on the original column. I did think about doing that, but I thought I might try to do the original with these trouble areas in it, then pull up the 1040X and paste them to that column.

Let me give that a try tomorrow morning and see if this will work for me like it has for you!

Thanks, again.
            Dennis

Comment

1040x

When I do an amendment for a return I did not prepare, I prepare the return as if it were an original, correctly. Then, I call up the 1040X, leaving my numbers in column C. I then input the numbers from the original return, including all the wrong numbers, in column A. The program does the math for the changes. Add the explanation, and you're done. That overcomes the problem of your software not allowing you to prepare the return incorrectly.

Comment

Lion

My software does not allow this. You have to prepare the original return, whatever it is, then paste that return to column A. After those figures have been pasted, I have to go in and make the changes to the original return and that will make its way to column C. I think I may be able to change the figures in column A once the return is is pasted. I will try that and see how I make out.

I have not tried to override anything this morning, but I will later. Working on MY return right now and it's giving me a headache!! (Just kidding)

Thanks, again, for the suggestions.
                Dennis

Comment

Lacerte

Lion
                  When I do an amendment for a return I did not prepare, I prepare the return as if it were an original, correctly. Then, I call up the 1040X, leaving my numbers in column C. I then input the numbers from the original return, including all the wrong numbers, in column A. The program does the math for the changes. Add the explanation, and you're done. That overcomes the problem of your software not allowing you to prepare the return incorrectly.
                  Yes, I use Lacerte and you can do it that way for 2003, if you do amend for 2004 and 2005, just remember when the pop-up ask: Would you like to transfer the current return amounts to the originally reported fields? Answer NO, and the amounts will go to column C, then you can input what ever you like in column A.

Comment

Working...
                  X