Question on S Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on S Corp

If an S Corp has quite a bit of money, but doesn't want to distribute it at this point (because it would only carry the business 6 months if business was interrupted for some reason...) what would you think of that business investing the money in stocks and bonds?

Would this cause any problems that I can't think of right now?

How much money do you think is safe for a business to be retaining?
    JG

No Stocks

I would never invest an emergency fund in stocks. The owner may want to look at tax exempt bond mutual funds, as these are relatively conservative investments that also produce non-taxable income.

JoshInNC

Comment

Creates bookkeeping headaches too.

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I would never invest an emergency fund in stocks. The owner may want to look at tax exempt bond mutual funds, as these are relatively conservative investments that also produce non-taxable income.

JoshInNC
        But you see no problem in some sort of investment? If SH chooses taxable, it just passes through so no S-Corp problem? Good point about emergency funds. Do you know of any dollar percentage amount that could be too much money on hand?
        JG

Comment

What sort

Originally posted by veritas
          Creates bookkeeping headaches too.
          of bookkeeping headaches?
          JG

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA
            of bookkeeping headaches?
            If you buy securities then you must track basis, dividends qualifying-non, reinvesting dividends and so on.

Comment

A good rule of thumb is

to have 3-6 months of money no hand in an "emergency fund". If the business is consistently profitable the 3 month figure is good. If seasonal, maybe look at 6 months. I would rather see the amount passed through to the shareholder and have the shareholder invest it, preferably in retirement vehicles.

JoshInNC

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

I appreciate the information and advice.
                JG
                JG

Comment

Just to be clear... there is no problem with an S-corp having investments or investment income. A C-corp can also but has to be, in some cases, concerned about personal holding company status and resulting additional tax.

Comment

Originally posted by OldJack
                    Just to be clear... there is no problem with an S-corp having investments or investment income. A C-corp can also but has to be, in some cases, concerned about personal holding company status and resulting additional tax.
                    Yes, assuming the S corporation has never been a C corporation. If there is C corp E&P included in the retained earnings, then the S corp could be subject to excess net passive income tax.

Comment

Working...
                    X