IRS Audit Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Audit Fees

Not looking for specific hourly charges, but do you charge your highest hourly rate?

When getting a retainer, do you get 5, 10, or more hours?

When your fee exceeds the retainer, do you get additional? Suppose the client refuses?

When you calculate your final bill and apply all retainers/advances, do you charge for postage, long distance calls, copies, mileage, etc.?

Do you do anything different for your regular clients versus someone who is referred to you or walks in off the street?

Anything else about audit fees?
    Last edited by Jiggers; 09-20-2006, 01:37 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
    Jiggers, EA

[QUOTE=Jiggers]Not looking for specific hourly charges, but do you charge your highest hourly rate?

We bill at $50 per

We charge a min of $500 for an audit. If we run past 10 hours we bill.

When your fee exceeds the retainer, do you get additional? Suppose the client refuses?

We usually bill. If they refuse work stops.

When you calculate your final bill and apply all retainers/advances, do you charge for postage, long distance calls, copies, mileage, etc.?

No.

Do you do anything different for your regular clients versus someone who is referred to you or walks in off the street?

Generally no, but depends on circumstances. If they bring a real mess or have credibility issues the price will go up.

Comment

taxfun

With all due respect, $50 is woefully inadequate for audit work. It should be at least $150/200 per hour plus expenses.

Should be a hefty retainer up fron and a very tight engagement letter.

Comment

Audit Fees

"Not looking for specific hourly charges, but do you charge your highest hourly rate?"
        Our Audit rate is our highest rate.

"When getting a retainer, do you get 5, 10, or more hours?"
        We estimate the time required plus 1 hour follow up.

"When your fee exceeds the retainer, do you get additional? Suppose the client refuses?"
        If we need a little extra time to wrap up, probably no. If we are in the middle hot and heavy definitely yes. If the client refuses they are now on their own and I quickly wrap up.

"When you calculate your final bill and apply all retainers/advances, do you charge for postage, long distance calls, copies, mileage, etc.?"
        Not unless their significant.

"Do you do anything different for your regular clients versus someone who is referred to you or walks in off the street?" If we have prepared the return being audited we charge 70% of full rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers
          Not looking for specific hourly charges, but do you charge your highest hourly rate?
          Yes and it usually is around 150-200-sea-tax

I usually get $ 500 up front and bill the client periodically .-sea-tax

Yes or work stops. "Suppose the client refuses" I make him an offer he can't refuse.-sea-tax

No Not exactly I don't like to nickle and dime clients , I work that into the original price. -sea-tax

Well if audit is the result of my or my employees mistake then the audit is free. If you are a walk-in I take a retainer of $500 and a credit card to gaurantee the payment and for periodic billing. -sea-tax
          Anything else about audit fees?
          Thankfully I do not have to many of these and so far I have been lights out on all audits . Meaning my clients have had either no change or minor adjustments less than 500 dollars.

Comment

Working...
          X