Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options

I had thought I read that Option trading will now be reported on a 1099B. Has anyone else read anything about this?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Are We There Yet?

Bob, I thought this was always the case. I have survived some of these option transactions with my clientele, seems like it is always either very good or very bad.

But in all cases I've encountered, there was a 1099-B. Of course, they've all been with major brokers - Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, etc. It's possible these brokerage houses have been voluntarily reporting if there has been no requirement to do so.

EXERCISE of options creates a reporting requirement on an employee's W-2, and carries no 1099-B requirement -- I'm assuming you're talking about trading and not exercising.

Comment

My experience

With Option trading has been reporting by the brokerage on 1099B when the option is sold or covered. No reporting when the option expires worthless. This always seemed like a good place to someone to both lose a deduction and to overstate their losses.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

One of the proposals is to require brokers to report cost basis information on the 1099-B. I don't think that made it into law yet, but they are thinking of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletoof
          Bob, I thought this was always the case. I have survived some of these option transactions with my clientele, seems like it is always either very good or very bad.

But in all cases I've encountered, there was a 1099-B. Of course, they've all been with major brokers - Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, etc. It's possible these brokerage houses have been voluntarily reporting if there has been no requirement to do so.

EXERCISE of options creates a reporting requirement on an employee's W-2, and carries no 1099-B requirement -- I'm assuming you're talking about trading and not exercising.
          If I am not mistaken individual investors can also have stock options, not just employees. I have also seen them reported on 1099b's as well.

Comment

According to 2006 Form 1099B instructions

According to the 2006 Form 1099B instructions:

Exceptions. Brokers are not required to file, but may file, Form 1099-B for:

13. Grants or purchases of options, exercises of call options, or entering into contracts that require delivery of personal property or an interest therein.

Comment

Thanks to.........

....all for your response. I thought it was on the message board, but I guess not. I will search google to see what comes up.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
              X