Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from a new old face ... or an old new face

Hello everyone

This is my first post on this Board, which I just discovered a few days ago. I've spent two or three hours browsing recent threads, finding the quality of most replies to people's tax questions quite good. So I just jumped through the registration hoops, and I'm pleased to be on board.

For the past three years I have served as the primary moderator on ATX's "Taxation" BB, posting well over 700 posts there, usually in response to people's tax questions on a wide range of subjects. While on that Board I always tried hard to post authoritative replies, believing that's what people want, what they expect, and especially what they need. People can do their own guessing, so when they ask a question on a forum like this, they don't want someone else to guess at the answer too. Whenever I may chime in and try to answer someone's question here, I will always have that in mind. I'll do my best to be a positive contributor here.

While browsing I noted two or three familiar names. "Jainen" comes to mind, whose posts I often enjoyed on the ATX Community Board. (Jainen, I gave you the referral credit when I registered ... here's hoping you win this year's prize, the 2007 Cadillac.) Finally, to Black Bart: BB, you are one funny dude! I was in stitches reading some of your stuff. People might have to look hard to find humor in most of my posts, but I enjoy it in others ... as long as this Forum doesn't turn into a "Joke-of-the-Day" depository.

Glad to be here ... cheers to all.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Welcome aboard Roland. It is always nice to have new faces join our group. I look forward to reading your replies.

Were you, or are you still employed by ATX? What do you think of the CCH buyout? If you still work for ATX, why did you come over here?

Comment

The move over here

Dear Bees

I am not and never have been employed by ATX, but I have used its software for 8 or 9 years. I decided to switch tax forums when the ATX forums were "improved" recently, rendering them almost unusable in the process. This forum's mechanics are superior ... by an order of magnitude ... and the responses are more accurate and on point, as I said before.

I was very pleased to learn of the CCH acquisition. People may or may not know that the founders of ATX sold out to Kleinrock about 2 years ago and, well ... no comment. I hope CCH will infuse new professionalism and quality at ATX, and I believe it will.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

what I contribute here

>>Jainen, I gave you the referral credit<<

Thanks Roland! About that Caddy, I'm not sure if I have room for another car, but maybe I could pull one off the cinder blocks and donate it for full market value.

I must warn you that my past posts are not representative. It's only been a few days since I took Black Bart's pledge to not insult other posters. It doesn't apply to the "other" board, but now you may be disappointed by what I contribute here.

Comment

The &quot;New&quot; Jainen?

...say it ain't so!! No more insults? No more dogmatic know-it-all-comments? Geez Bart, what have you DONE to this guy? Can a Leopard change it's spots?

Sluggo, stick around. Something tells me Dr. Jekyll won't prevail very long -- Black Bart notwithstanding...

I've always known Jainen is double-breasted. How else could he possibly retain a clientele?
          Last edited by Snaggletooth; 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Sluggo

...another refugee from ATXers. Glad to know you had nothing to do with running the board. Used to go there when I had ATX. Sloppy format - exploding number of posts - absolutely uncontrolled, no editing, lots of vulgarity and plenty of evidence that no one was running the train.

You'll be happy here. Lots of colorful characters. Lots of knowledgeable content, your buddy Jainen is one of the best. Excellent format. Good leadership and design.

And then, of course, there's me!

Snaggletooth

Comment

business expense

>>No more dogmatic know-it-all-comments?<<

Check the "other" board. I'm trying to convince them that a TV newscaster can deduct haircuts as a business expense!

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
                Check the "other" board. I'm trying to convince them that a TV newscaster can deduct haircuts as a business expense!
                Funny nobody over there cites any cases.

In Richard Walter Drake, 52 T.C. 842 (1969), the tax court rejected the argument that hair cuts were deductible because as an enlisted man in the U.S. Army, he was required to get a hair cut every 2 weeks. The court said,

"Taxpayer argued that but for this employment he would not have had his
                hair cut so often. This Court rejected a "but for" test as a sole
                determinant of deductibility under section 162. We found that expenditures
                for such personal grooming expenses as haircuts were inherently personal
                in nature and could not be considered businesss expenses."

Comment

[QUOTE=Bees Knees]Funny nobody over there cites any cases.

As I've said, each has a different "flavor". One board tends to favor the Pubs, another Code, Regs and Tax Court.

Reminds me of a CPE class I attended where the speaker (an attorney) spent all day talking in Code Sections. Not sure I got any more from that one than many others I've attended by speakers such as Bob Jennings using a less techical presentation. To each his own.

Personally, I'm with you, Janien, and Roland S. I like to see the source material.

Doug

Comment

what you need

>>I'm with you, Jainen, and Roland S. I like to see the source material.<<

Well, okay, generally, unless it doesn't support what you need, of course.

Comment

[QUOTE=outwest]
                      Originally posted by Bees Knees
                      Funny nobody over there cites any cases.

As I've said, each has a different "flavor". One board tends to favor the Pubs, another Code, Regs and Tax Court.
                      I didn't see any Pubs cited either. The "taste" of shooting from the hip has very little flavor.

Comment

Working...
                      X