Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks and Minnesota UC Workforce Enhancement Fee

Attention Minnesota Experts.

I have Quickbooks doing a nice job on payroll.

The Workforce Enhancement percentage needs to be changed at the client level.
    When I click on Lists, Payroll items, "other tax" and try to edit the item it does not give me the choice to change the rate.

If I do a new "other tax" it will give me the choice to enter the new percentage.

Has anybody else had similar issues? Or, is there a better way to handle yet another worthless govement tax designed to encourage business to move to states with less regulation.

Mahalo!

Minnesota "Eye"

...how else can you describe someone on Kawai doing Minnesota taxes?

I think what is going on is that QuikBooks wants to sell you their annual
    tax table update service, and restricts the change of certain taxes. Of course,
    I can tell you nothing specific about Minnesota SUTA, but I surmise that
    someone up there has stayed awake nights contorting this business tax
    such that simply changing the experience rating doesn't correctly calculate
    the liability.

I don't use QuikBooks for payroll. I use, believe it or not, Excel. You can
    program the "percentage method" tax withholding and everything else in a
    manner of hours. Once having done that, updating each year from the Pub 17
    is just a few entries.

Comment

Try this

Go to this link http://www.quickbooks.com/payrollnews/ then go to Payroll Message Board under (Payroll Resources).

Once there go to Payroll and a message board will open. You can also post, but you will probably have to register.

Another thought, have you updated your payroll service recently?? Just a thought!

Good Luck,

Sandy

Comment

By hand

Payroll can also be done by hand. The governments send all the necessary changes of tables and all the rates needed. No monthly or by the minute updates are needed from a mega-robotic software corporation.

It is also interesting the mistakes that can happen when someone relies solely on the "program". I've seen one recently where W-2 errors were made for years (not in the client’s favor) because of assuming everything must be OK because it is in the environment of infallible circuits.

This is not always practical, but it certainly is possible. Much more possible I think than not using tax programs. Make one change on a tax return and a program carries it to each page needed. Tax returns also are so very complex. But payroll is really pretty simple.

I like that idea of Excel formulas though.
        JG

Comment

I too do not like QuickBooks for payroll. Yes, every year they need more $ for update. I developed an Excel spreadsheet. The only problem I've had is Excel rounding up/down and then totals not being 100% accurate. So then I have to do a little manual +/-x. But it beats QuickBooks.

Comment

Excel

I ran across this the other day, looks pretty nice. FREE to download. It's a excel payroll template from MicroSoft. You need excel, the template will open excel for you to use.
            You then can save or close without save.

Last edited by RLymanC; 08-31-2006, 11:47 AM.
            Confucius say:
            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

PR spredsheet....

...leaves alot to be desired.

Did SS rate change to 6.3%? I made some changes to withholding but the net showed a different calculation. And how can you base withholding % based on exemption claimed?

Something is not right here.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Payroll part only!

Medlin Software offers the best Cloud/Desktop/Laptop Payroll Software with no monthly or per employee fees! Get your free trial today.

$35 (may be old price this year) for Payroll part of software!)
                Download and try it if you want(free download to try Prints Unregisterd version on everything and won't print out the w2s till registered)

the Accounting module is double column like using PAPER Ledger sheets! "I have to enter it twice?" <hehe>

Good Problem

Software for all the modules is about $100 (or less)

depends on what part you want, runs on windows 98, 2000, or xp!
                maybe even 95 still!
                Just incase you don't want to upgrade to newest Quickbooks and pay monthly for payroll!

Comment

I have to ask. What the heck is a Workforce Enhancement fee? Sounds like something my liberal city would come up with. Who and what does it enhance?

Comment

In Calif

Could be something like California's Employment Training Tax %! I don't think I have seen any prior employees on unemployment being Trained for new jobs.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                    X