Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS copy of 2018 Form 1040

Never mind.
    Last edited by FEDUKE404; 08-23-2020, 12:29 PM.

Political Gimmick IMHO!

They call it postcard sized return it is really 2 half pages. So now if IRS puts page 1 and page 2 (front and back) on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet how is that any better than before?
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

They must have changed the website since you looked. 1040 still says coming soon, but the Schedules 1-6 are there.

If the one on Treasury site is the latest draft, they shrunk the dependents from 4 lines to 2.

Comment

If they don't finalize new form until late summer, that doesn't give states much time to redesign their forms and reprogram computers is necessary.

Comment

Looks like next year is shaping up to be the biggest extension year ever. Wonder if some states (and maybe even IRS), will just automatically extend all the filing dates. It would save them the hassle of a blizzard of extension requests.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            Looks like next year is shaping up to be the biggest extension year ever. Wonder if some states (and maybe even IRS), will just automatically extend all the filing dates. It would save them the hassle of a blizzard of extension requests.
            We're at the end of June, and unless I missed it, there has been zero clarifications and guidance on 199A.

Comment

Since there is not a place to put SSN for someone using a kid to file HOH and not claiming kid as dependent, I'm assuming kid would be entered on dependent line and not checking credit boxes.

I have doubts this will be programmed correctly to not generate reject codes.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
                I just clicked on the link provided in my post above and the 3-page PDF file opened without problem. . .
                (1:30 pm EDT on Saturday)

The dependents line on the front of the "postcard" does show only two lines.

Now, back to my remaining 2017 tax work. . .

FE
                With so much white space left why did they reduce the # of lines for dependents? I quickly looked at a sample of 1040 forms that I filed this year with kids and I have at least 3 in most of the returns. I have a bunch that require the extra page for dependents.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

The first version of the draft still had 4 lines, along with a box to check if there were more.

Seems to me like they are doing everything they can to make it harder for taxpayers to self prepare without the aid of software.

Comment

Working...
                  X