Taxact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxact

Anyone used Taxact software? What's your opinion? Do they have good support?
    Right now I use proseries. The price is going to be $1932 for 2018. It's getting a little to expensive to me. Besides this year, the service is very poor. I am looking for an alternative.

Originally posted by liberty View Post
    Anyone used Taxact software? What's your opinion? Do they have good support?
    Right now I use proseries. The price is going to be $1932 for 2018. It's getting a little to expensive to me. Besides this year, the service is very poor. I am looking for an alternative.
    This is the perfect time to demo tax software with your actual client returns to see if it meets your needs. I am assuming you like Proseries but cost is the issue for changing?

Try Drake because when you add the cost of the TaxAct preparer bundle plus the cost of unlimited e-file it will be about the same as Drake. Drake has by far the best customer support in my opinion. If you only prepare 1040 forms and have a handful of returns, TaxAct may be more cost effective.

Whatever you decide, do prepare actual returns before writing that check!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I second the recommendation to take a look at Drake. They also have a per-return option, which they allow you to convert to unlimited if your volume gets high enough to justify the switch.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Drakes GUI is not as user friendly and productive as Proseries. We demo Drake every other year, to look at any changes. And for us the extra monies spent on Proseries is well worth the more efficient GUI (time savings per return). Get the demo of Drake, then get familiar with it. Then do a couple bogus returns (simple and complex), on Drake and Proseries. See which one is more efficient and offers what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
          Drakes GUI is not as user friendly and productive as Proseries. We demo Drake every other year, to look at any changes. And for us the extra monies spent on Proseries is well worth the more efficient GUI (time savings per return). Get the demo of Drake, then get familiar with it. Then do a couple bogus returns (simple and complex), on Drake and Proseries. See which one is more efficient and offers what you need.
          I can tell you right now that you are going to have a learning curve with the data entry screens in Drake if you have used Proseries for a number of years. But once you get used to the Drake screens, you can significantly speed up the time it takes to crank out a return. Most people get frustrated with the Drake screens when they are demoing and give up. I did the same before until I forced myself to give it another shot with open mind and it did the trick.

I have tried almost all the mid tiered products and find Drake to have the fastest calculation speed.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I agree. I've never seen anything to rival Drake in terms of speed. It is lightning fast. All one needs to do is shed their dependence on bells & whistles and concentrate on the fastest way to get the job done. I've spoken with lots of people who just won't make the transition, or are willing to accept less efficiency rather than invest the time necessary to make the switch.

For some, the learning curve is too steep. It begins with less reliance on the mouse, learning the keyboard shortcuts, and abandoning forms-based data entry (which is vastly overrated IMO). The other major benefit Drake offers is their superb macro capability. Once the user learns how to write their own macros, efficiency increases exponentially.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

It's funny [to me] that the initial post was a question about TaxAct and ProSeries, and yet every reply so far is talking primarily about Drake. Yes, I realize the OP said "looking for an alternative". But more than any other software, it's the Drake users who are most often trying to proselytize.
              Last edited by Rapid Robert; 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM.
              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                It's funny [to me] that the initial post was a question about TaxAct and ProSeries, and yet every reply so far is talking primarily about Drake. Yes, I realize the OP said "looking for an alternative". But more than any other software, it's the Drake users who are most often trying to proselytize.
                Perhaps other posters should offer suggestions about other software they like and why, and let the OP take all that in and make an informed decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                  Drake users used to provoke the same reaction from me, until I finally decided to give it an honest evaluation.

Comment

taxact

I used Taxwise for 15 years switched to Drake 2 years ago. I used to kid my friends(that used Drake) that they belonged to a cult I am happy to say I joined that cult. Using Macros and once you understand the software basic returns take no time. Plus the price and support are great.

Comment

You have pros and cons on ALL software out there. Just test drive them. YOU are the one who has to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                        I can tell you right now that you are going to have a learning curve with the data entry screens in Drake if you have used Proseries for a number of years. But once you get used to the Drake screens, you can significantly speed up the time it takes to crank out a return. Most people get frustrated with the Drake screens when they are demoing and give up. I did the same before until I forced myself to give it another shot with open mind and it did the trick.

I have tried almost all the mid tiered products and find Drake to have the fastest calculation speed.
                        Calculation speed (now a days) is really a mute subject. With the processing power in today's PC's its not an issue. Data entry is where the savings is. If you do have issues with "processing speed", maybe its time to retire that old "286" processor.

Comment

Originally posted by MDEA View Post
                          I used Taxwise for 15 years switched to Drake 2 years ago. I used to kid my friends(that used Drake) that they belonged to a cult I am happy to say I joined that cult. Using Macros and once you understand the software basic returns take no time. Plus the price and support are great.
                          Will you explain what you mean when you say "Using Macros"? Also, does one need to know how to do some elementary programing to utilized the full benefits of the software?

Heard that Drake is/was DOS based until a few years ago. Is that true?

Thanks
                          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Macros enable the user to customize numerous data entry activities, resulting in faster return preparation. One can devise simple single-keystroke entries to prefill almost any form they wish, then either return to the main data input screen or pause on the form to await additional data entry. Anyone who knows how to use an Excel spreadsheet can quickly learn to harness the power of macros. Plus, Drake already provides some macros, which can be modified & customized by a novice Drake user as a way of learning the basics of how they work.

I didn't fully appreciate the power of macros until my second year with Drake. Now I doubt I'd willingly work with any software that didn't offer this feature.
                            Last edited by JohnH; 05-20-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
                              Calculation speed (now a days) is really a mute subject. With the processing power in today's PC's its not an issue. Data entry is where the savings is. If you do have issues with "processing speed", maybe its time to retire that old "286" processor.
                              Drake has a feature called Macros to automate most data entry tasks that are repeats. So for example the form 8867 can be completed virtually in few keystrokes. JohnH discussed this in a prior post. Most Drake users increase their efficiency by using macros.

While i will not make fun of the vintage 80286 processor (I have fond memories of IBM AT at one of my early jobs), I bet Drake will rival any other software to produce a viewable return from the time you hit the calculate button. I have used Taxwise, ATX, TaxAct, Taxworks and Drake beat them in speed for the same type of return calculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X