Looking for a Good, (and comprehensive) "Search Engine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking for a on-line search engine to research tax code as well as court cases that would have assisted in establishing precedence in tax matters.

I am impressed with the quickness several contributers to this board respond to questions with answers that include not only code sections, but also court cases that have addressed the particular subject area. I know there are many who participate here that have considerable experience and recollection of cites and/or reference material, but how do they come up with the cite for a court case involving say, "XYZ, Inc v. Commisioner," etc., that speaks to the question at issue?

Probably seems a little basic to most of you, but very effective from my viewpoint.

Thank you for any information or ideas.

Aviator

Search Engine

Start with Google. I also have 22 years of notes in a loose-leaf binder.

Comment

Here's a start. Interesting reading in the afternoon when decisions are posted.

Official Site of the United States Tax Court

Comment

Google

Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE, Use GOOGLE. Lets just say when I started using Google, I have never had a need for any other search engine, it is great, ESPECIALLY for tax research. Good Luck.

Comment

Search Engines

I like to use this website: taxsites.com.
          At this website you can go to federal or state. Click on federal and you have your choice
          of selections: Court Cases, Pubs., just whatever.
          Click on state and you can go to whatever state you want.

Comment

Thank you to all who responded. I was curious about how others are able to obtain information and hoping to find a better way for myself.

I will use the ideas offered. I think they will be most helpful.

Thank you again.

Aviator

Comment

I use

I use "Google" for most, but would like to know how NY EA captures his information! Also maybe Bees and Armando (he shared some) would share with us.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy, I'm glad you mentioned NY EA, Bird Legs, and Armando. Because something I failed to include in my original post was how do these folks find a court case that has ruled on a particular issue. For example, is there a way to ask a question on say, rulings handed down on under reporting penalties, or rulings on business expense, etc.

I sure would like some advice on these type research questions.

Aviator

Comment

For years I used Kleinrock’s CD that has all the code, regs, rulings, court decisions, etc. Problem is they changed the format about a year ago and it keeps crashing my computer, plus it is less usable. It looks better, but functions worse. Some computer geek interested in video games probably got hired to spruce it up, and now neither Armando nor I use it, other than an older version that hasn’t been updated for a while.

Otherwise, I use Google, as it seems to find just about anything having to do with taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees
                    For years I used Kleinrock’s CD that has all the code, regs, rulings, court decisions, etc. Problem is they changed the format about a year ago and it keeps crashing my computer, plus it is less usable. It looks better, but functions worse. Some computer geek interested in video games probably got hired to spruce it up, and now neither Armando nor I use it, other than an older version that hasn’t been updated for a while.

Otherwise, I use Google, as it seems to find just about anything having to do with taxes.
                    Agree. Google works great. There is a learning curve, however, in typing in the right search words. Don't give up if you get a bunch of stuff you don't want. Keep trying, and you'll learn how to search where you get what you're looking for right at the top.

Comment

Look for a law library or law college in your state, they may be able to give you more info on a resource, but most lawyers purchase CD (probly dvd based now) software with law refernces, you want get (since at least 1993/94) the entire law reference books including cases on CD, I don't know the exact cost, but back then it was expensive!!!!($1000+ bucks) but they kept the information up to date, you may even want to work a deal with a local laywer to get access to his computer and cd's, of course many towns have a law library that will have much information!.....each states website has some links to local level legal court systems!

http://www.dogpile.com/ searches google and several others

Ok, all 4 of these are by the same company, but each one looks differnt, so look at them and see which interface works best for you!!!
                      I've been using Dogpile for years(199?'s ) and find most things there, unless I have to custom my search onto one certain place,

http://www.ixquick.com/ Another great search engine, sometimes finds stuff doing the above or going staight to google or altavista or yahoo may miss!! unfortunally it keeps abit of itself at the top of the page(highly annoying, expecially when you want to bookmark for return trips!)

http://www.naughty.com/ Ok, this searches things of an adult nature, but I didn't want to exclude vaild search tools! (P.S. by default the above seach engines just like google filter this kind of content until you turn off filters!)

Comment

http://www.dogpile.com/

"Place things in quotes" can help you search greatly!

Comment

I also have Kleinrock's and agree it is not very user friendly anymore. However I do like their update publication.

Comment

Armando mentionned the Tax Court website. It has a pretty decent search function where you can find cases (regular & memo) back to 1995 and summary cases back to (I think) 1999.

If anyone uses Drake software, they should take advantage of a GREAT no cost extra feature that allows research using RIA. While it's not the full RIA package, you can find Tax Court cases back into the 1920s and AFTR cites to even further back. You also can search Rev Rulings, Rev Proc, the list goes on & on. While Drake may not be the most powerful software, the RIA feature alone makes it worth the occassional irritation in preparing a return.

New York Enrolled Agent

Comment

Working...
                            X