Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refunding PTIN fees

abcdefghij
    Last edited by FEDUKE404; 05-14-2018, 11:50 PM.

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
    Does anyone know the current status re potential refunds of the annual PTIN fees which ranged from around $63 to $50 from 2010 through 2016 ??
    It's pretty easy to search the internet, one site that has several blog posts from the last six months with news updates: http://procedurallytaxing.com.

It seems like the case is being appealed, but IRS has lost its argument that it should be able to continue collecting fees in the meantime. But that's different from refunds of prior fees paid. I'm not quite sure myself why the refunds, if any, would go all the way back to 2010, isn't there a SOL on things like that? Remember the phone tax rebates that were on tax returns about ten years ago? That was a tax going back to the Spanish-American War that was ruled unconstitutional, but refunds only had to go back three years.

Since the current Congress is too useless to help solve the problem of fraudulent tax preparers, at least the IRS is being smart and is working with software vendors instead to indirectly regulate tax pros, by requiring more and more security features to use the software. We'll probably have to rely on private industry (Facebook and Twitter) to solve the Russian election meddling problem too, since Congress isn't the least bit concerned about that either.
    Last edited by Rapid Robert; 04-26-2018, 01:57 PM.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I am not expecting a refund of any prior fees that were collected. If I get any it will be a bonus! Then we have to add that back as income since most of us already deducted that as "ordinary and necessary" expense.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
      X