IRS MeF currently down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS MeF currently down

My software vendor posted an alert, saying that returns sent to them will still be postmarked as timely, but acks will be delayed.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Direct pay is also down. Hack???

Comment

The post office still seems to be open, and doing a booming business today...
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        The post office still seems to be open, and doing a booming business today...
        Which leads me to ask, how likely is it that the IRS actually inspects postmarks? Even with a scanner and text recognition software, I'd think out of thousands of post offices, a non-trivial number will generate nearly illegible postmarks due to printing issues, etc.

Or, without telling anyone, does the IRS simply use a reasonable cut-off date several days after filing, and assume that anything received in paper mail by that date was mailed timely?

With FTA, after all, penalties for late filing & paying can be abated for most. And if the outage lasts all day today, I imagine the IRS would announce some kind of relief.

States are another matter. If they run an independent online system, probably no issues. But for those states that "piggy back" on the IRS filing, could be a mess.

I don't think it's likely to be a "hack" of the system, I don't think MeF is even exposed to the public, only software transmitters. Direct pay is likely down because it depends on looking things up in some other system that is down. What would a hacker have to gain, other than helping make the case for more resources for the IRS to do its job?
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
          Below is from IRS Direct Pay web site ( https://www.irs.gov/payments )
          According to one news story I just saw, IRS is still accepting payments by debit card (fee of several dollars) or credit card (cash advance fee). Only the Direct Pay (bank debit) is down.

Comment

Told Taxpay to Run to US Post Office!

I just finished a balance due return that will be e-filed when MEF is up, but I told the taxpayer to go to the US Post office before 5pm and mail the check to IRS certified!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
              Direct pay is also down. Hack???
              No, IRS says website issue
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Earlier this afternoon, NAEA alerted members to technical difficulties with IRS' electronic filing and online payment systems. NAEA confirmed with IRS earlier this evening that these systems are fixed and are operational again. According to the Service:
                Individuals and businesses with a filing or payment due date of April 17 will now have until midnight on Wednesday, April 18. Taxpayers do not need to do anything to receive this extra time.
                More details are available in IRS' news release, IR-2018-100. Should new information become available, NAEA will update the full membership.

Comment

IRS Provides Additional Day to File and Pay

IRS Provides Additional Day to File and Pay
                  The Internal Revenue Service announced today that it is providing taxpayers an additional day to file and pay their taxes following system issues that surfaced early on the April 17 tax deadline. Individuals and businesses with a filing or payment due date of April 17 will now have until midnight on Wednesday, April 18. Taxpayers do not need to do anything to receive this extra time.
                  The IRS advised taxpayers to continue to file their taxes as normal Tuesday evening, whether electronically or on paper. Automatic six-month extensions are available to taxpayers who need additional time.
                  Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
                  X