Novell vs. Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novell vs. Microsoft

Just replaced our Novell Server of 5 (completely trouble free) years. with a Microsoft Server. I am not impressed. The only reason we did it was compatibility and after the install some windows programs quit working. I do not like changing computers.
    Last edited by veritas; 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM.

I think we use Novell and have had little to no problems. I will tell you that I leave the computer issues up to the others in the office because I am not a computer genius by no stretch.
    I think we were talking about switching to Microsoft but had not decided yet. Can you give me more info as to why or what went wrong.

Thanks Veritas

Comment

First of all Microsoft Server costs more.

Secondly we have to spend more on hardware to make it perform properly. I am told that a second processor is needed in the server.

Some of our Workstations are using Windows 2000 which now doesn't work with our writeup software (it did befeore) now I will buy 4 copies of Windows Xp.

Groupwise which comes with Novell is very nice. Much better suited than Outlook better known as Lookout.

No performance improvement that I can detect whatsoever after spending alot of money.

That being said I am told for instance Quickbooks 2007 won't run on Novell. So we are being forced to switch.

Comment

Confused...

How many workstations are you talking about?
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          First of all Microsoft Server costs more.

Secondly we have to spend more on hardware to make it perform properly. I am told that a second processor is needed in the server.

Some of our Workstations are using Windows 2000 which now doesn't work with our writeup software (it did befeore) now I will buy 4 copies of Windows Xp.

Groupwise which comes with Novell is very nice. Much better suited than Outlook better known as Lookout.

No performance improvement that I can detect whatsoever after spending alot of money.

That being said I am told for instance Quickbooks 2007 won't run on Novell. So we are being forced to switch.
          Thanks for the insight. Is this Veritas?

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W
            How many workstations are you talking about?

We have 7 workstations.

Comment

yes sorry I wasn't logged in at the time.

To be fair I do like the fact that my backup software is solely on the server and pushes updates to the workstations.

Also the server downloads windows updates and sends to each workstation as needed.

What is inetersting is the It guy says windows server 2003 is really just windows with the name server on it.

Comment

Veritas , have you looked into becoming a Microsoft Partner. They have a program where by they give you a Microsoft Server and tons of other programs for like 300 to 400 dollars. You have to tell them you want to become a Microsoft Partner and in turn they think you will sell there small business software to your clients. I have never sold anything but still get the software.
                I know you have most likely bought the server already but for the future. Go to google and type in Microsoft Partner Program.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it.

One big improvement today was updating Outlook to 2003 version. Much better with ability to share calendars with other users in the office. I highly recomend it for offices with multiple users.

Comment

Novell AND Microsoft

If you wish, you could run both servers, then keep all the old stuff on the current one (running perfectly for years to come!)

Then run only the items requiring the Microsoft server on it!

Best of both worlds, plus if a virus gets loose on your network the older stuff is more protected on the Novell box!

As far as room goes, there are Monitor / Keyboard Sharing boxes that would let you place up to 4(or more) computers on the switch,so you could have your Servers share the same monitior, or even have a work stations there also!

There are configuration options (even in XP) for the Server to tell it to allowcate itself more for server purposes, "Settings, Control Panel, sysstem, ?, advanced options" also where your there increase your paging file!!!!

Honestly, unless 20 or better people are accessing the programs you shouldn't need the second cpu....I'ld say more memory might be required, expecially if 5 or more programs are open at once by all users (aka email/tax softare/etc/)

from Quickbooks 5 faq http://www.proseries.com/images/pdf/PSUpdate2005.pdf
                    128Meg plus 128Meg per work station on server
                    this means with 7 work stations the server needs at least 1024Meg or 1 Gig so I would say you need 2Gig Ram on server fo it to run decently! If you ad another CPU you will probly need at least a 3rd Gig for the effect to be fully there(otherwise the memory bottlenecks the end results)
                    Novell probly requires less for the same performance!!!! Wish Intuit would program more for the masses, rather than kickbacks from Microsoft!

>What is inetersting is the It guy says windows server 2003 is really just windows with the >name server on it.

More so than that, Windows XP is basically Windows 2000 with Multimedia and gaming suppport added in (attempt to obsolete 95/98/ME which are DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1 based) Server 2003 is the 2000 Server version with upgrades and addons(ehancements) and some changes(bug-fixes) it by default install doesn't have all the extra bells-and-whisles that XP has (most don't care if it can play games/dvd's/video's) there are versions designed to support 1-2 processors (default) and several other configureations I don't remember of the top of my head!

Windows Server just like Novells' will allow you to buy an additonal copy and have 2 computers identially configured as 1...that way if one computer dies the big one the other will still be running!(hopefully)

Actually a lot of people have started using Linux as file servers, it doesn't come with outlook, but with a person who knows what is doing sets it up, a very good dependable file server! But don't ask me if will run Quickbooks 2007, to be quite honest Novell will probly create a patch to get quickbooks to run on there servers(unless yours is out of supported years) might want to switch payroll to something like www.medlin.com and then keep the older version (unless there is some great extra features in 2007 that you will need??)

Comment

Thanks for the info. I do have both servers running now. However we are trying to run everything off the Windows server. For the most part everything is working now. We did have to update from windows 2000 to windows xp on our workstations because a couple of programs quit working. I am having some issues on my network printer. All the local printers seem to be working. The network printer works fine with Lacerte but is very slow printing on everything else. Also I have a dos program that is not printing to my printer. We are hoping to dump the dos program this year.

Also had a problem with Lacerte 2005 running really slow. Called Lacerte support and they had me delete a couple of files off the server and then everything was fine.
                      Last edited by veritas; 09-01-2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X