Early withdrawal IRA exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early withdrawal IRA exception

I have a client with an early IRA withdrawal to pay for otherwise deductible medical expenses. How do I show that removal as to not trigger an IRS letter. I can just override the penalty on line 59 of my software, but I'm very leary of overrides!

Use Form 5329

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      I have a client with an early IRA withdrawal to pay for otherwise deductible medical expenses. How do I show that removal as to not trigger an IRS letter. I can just override the penalty on line 59 of my software, but I'm very leary of overrides!
      I,m unaware of an exception for medical expenses. code 7 is for IRA distributions made to unemployed individuals for health insurance premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by DonB View Post
        I,m unaware of an exception for medical expenses. code 7 is for IRA distributions made to unemployed individuals for health insurance premiums.
        Agree. A qualified plan (NOT and IRA!) does have a medical-related exception on Form 5329, but only for the amount of expenses that exceed a 10%-AGI floor. An IRA has no such exception. For example, if AGI is $50K, and medical expenses are $7K, only up to $2K distributed from a 401(k) plan would avoid the early distribution penalty.

"Qualified retirement plan distributions up to the amount you paid for unreimbursed medical expenses during the year minus 10% (or 7.5% if you or your spouse were born before January 2, 1952) of your adjusted gross income (AGI) for the year."
        Last edited by Rapid Robert; 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          A qualified plan (NOT and IRA!) does have a medical-related exception on Form 5329, but only for the amount of expenses that exceed a 10%-AGI floor. An IRA has no such exception.[/i]

I haven't looked up the legal gibberish, but IRS web-pages say that applies to an IRA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
            I haven't looked up the legal gibberish, but IRS web-pages say that applies to an IRA as well.
            Thank you, I think you are correct. I was reading the 5329 instructions for the exception codes, and they seemed to draw a distinction between IRAs and "qualified retirement plans", but then upon second look I see they mention:

IRAs,
            Other qualified retirement plans,

so it seems IRAs are also qualified retirement plans, at least for some purposes.

If Congress really wanted to do something useful (hah!), they could eliminate the complexity around all the minor and somewhat arbitrary differences between IRAs and employer-sponsored plans.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
              Thank you, I think you are correct. I was reading the 5329 instructions for the exception codes, and they seemed to draw a distinction between IRAs and "qualified retirement plans", but then upon second look I see they mention:

IRAs,
              Other qualified retirement plans,

so it seems IRAs are also qualified retirement plans, at least for some purposes.

If Congress really wanted to do something useful (hah!), they could eliminate the complexity around all the minor and somewhat arbitrary differences between IRAs and employer-sponsored plans.
              In the byzantine world of taxes, there are numerous definitions.

For purposes of ยง72(t), the definition of qualified retirement plan is found in ยง4974(c) and the IRA is indeed included.

One other note, I believe the 7.5% (not the 10%) threshold is in effect for 2017 and 2018.

Comment

Working...
              X