Conversion of Asset to Personal Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion of Asset to Personal Use

I have a client who is discontinuing his business as of 12/31/17.

I have a couple of questions on depreciation and losses on assets that remain in the business:

He can claim a full year of depreciation on the assets can't he? He operated the business through closing on 12/31/17. So technically the assets get converted to personal use 01/01/18 ( I wouldn't claim any depreciation in 2018).

Losses on sales of assets in 2018. If he sells an asset at a loss in 2018 is the loss deductible as a business loss? I've read conflicting statements on this.

If he (properly) converts the assets to personal use at end of year close of business then anything sold in 2018 would be a personal sale.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I would be more concerned with the basis coming out and a sale in a later year. Could there be unexpected gain?

Comment

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
        I have a client who is discontinuing his business as of 12/31/17.

I have a couple of questions on depreciation and losses on assets that remain in the business:

He can claim a full year of depreciation on the assets can't he? He operated the business through closing on 12/31/17. So technically the assets get converted to personal use 01/01/18 ( I wouldn't claim any depreciation in 2018).

Losses on sales of assets in 2018. If he sells an asset at a loss in 2018 is the loss deductible as a business loss? I've read conflicting statements on this.
        You don't say what type of business structure. Property tax basis carries over (recapture may be involved).
        You might consider to start looking at Reg. Section 1.168(i)-4(c)

Also a prior TTB post:

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Your 11-5-08 post involved conversion.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 04-09-2018, 11:32 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

That one was an s corporation this is a sole proprietorship, very different IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
            That one was an s corporation this is a sole proprietorship, very different IMO.
            Yes, thought maybe your research might have covered the subject. What happened to the assets when you said
            ...."S corporation with the remaining division for a couple of more years and then it will be dissolved, so this is not a complete liquidation." ?
            Last edited by TAXNJ; 04-09-2018, 11:42 PM.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
            X