ProSeries and Lacerte Nationwide Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProSeries and Lacerte Nationwide Crash

I am hearing there is a nationwide crash of Intuit's software. I read that if you are logged in, do not log out as you may not be able to get back in. They are working on it. I don't use Intuit anymore but I wanted to pass this on.

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
    I am hearing there is a nationwide crash of Intuit's software. I read that if you are logged in, do not log out as you may not be able to get back in. They are working on it. I don't use Intuit anymore but I wanted to pass this on.
    Instead of just spreading rumors, it seems you should cite a source for your information. "I am hearing" and "I read that" sounds almost like fake news. Being helpful is one thing. Spreading unsubstantiated rumors, as a non-customer of the product in question, is another. And for the record, no one should ever be fearful of logging out of an online service.

Disclaimer: I don't use any Intuit tax preparation products or services.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

As a Lacerte user, I can confirm that the "rumor" is true. We were down for nearly two hours today.

And it's not online software. The desktop version of Lacerte requires being connected to the internet in order to log in (stupid, in my opinion) and what John of PA said is true: users who were logged in were able to stay logged in and work, but once they logged out or timed out, there was no getting back into the software.

Comment

Thank you Maude. I am curious, did this only effect the "cloud version" of the software or even the software that is installed on the computer hard drive. I also want to say this could happen to anyone.

Comment

Never mind Maude, you answered my question. Thank you so much and wish you smooth sailing from here on in. My info source was another forum.

Comment

Not a good time for software crash

I don't use intuit product, so I am curious if they figured out what the reason for the crash was. I was not aware that you NEED internet connection just to log into your desktop (not cloud based) software. All the other software that I have used in the past gives you a Warning that internet connection is not available and it can't update but you can create or work on a return!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              I don't use intuit product, so I am curious if they figured out what the reason for the crash was. I was not aware that you NEED internet connection just to log into your desktop (not cloud based) software. All the other software that I have used in the past gives you a Warning that internet connection is not available and it can't update but you can create or work on a return!
              Starting with 2016 products they added the security measure of having to log on to software, and although the software is on computer, the login is somehow through internet. If there is no activity for a certain amount of time, it will automatically log out.

I needed to leave yesterday to pick up dog from groomers, and when I returned I was logged out and couldn't log back in. Luckily I didn't have anyone scheduled during the time it was out.

Heads up for people that were affected more than I was. If you call Pro and put up a hissy fit they will generally put some money in your PPR account if it was something that was clearly their fault.

Comment

I am not so sure it's for security unless it's their security, I think it is for control. They can control us by making us log in online. Lets say you your behind in paying your bill, they can shut you out. Lets say their records say your behind in paying your bill, but it's a mistake and results in a dispute, your shut out. Intuit is usually on the cutting edge. While this is not a problem with my software (Drake), it probably is the trend for the future. Another problem is that if your internet cable is out because of a storm, then you can't use your tax software. technology is moving too fast and that concerns me.

Comment

I am not so sure it's for security unless it's their security, I think it is for control. They can control us by making us log in online. Lets say you your behind in paying your bill, they can shut you out. Lets say their records say your behind in paying your bill, but it's a mistake and results in a dispute, your shut out. Intuit is usually on the cutting edge. While this is not a problem with my software (Drake), it probably is the trend for the future. Another problem is that if your internet cable is out because of a storm, then you can't use your tax software. technology is moving too fast and that concerns me.
                  I'm glad that eventually someone with actual knowledge of the facts was able to contribute to this thread.

The correct way to implement the login requirement was to cache the credential locally for desktop products, so that no internet connection was required every time, maybe just once every 90 days (password expiration). My software has always done it this way. Those using Intuit products probably just needed to temporarily disable their internet connection (easy to do from the control panel, or just pull the cable), long enough to log in, then re-enable it. Did anyone actually try this? "Another problem is that if your internet cable is out because of a storm, then you can't use your tax software. " Does anyone have evidence of this? Again, I'm talking about an actual disconnect from the Internet, not simply lack of a response from one server on the internet, which is the case with this Intuit outage. There is a big difference.

Thinking that this is a way for the vendors to deal with people who aren't paying their bills is a very far stretch. They could just shut off your efiling capability if that's what they wanted to do, and that ability has been in place for ages. Does anyone have any evidence that even once, the login process has been used to get a deadbeat tax pro to pay his bill to the vendor?

The Security Summit requirement for login was to combat the fraudulent tax professionals among us. It's now much harder to claim you didn't file a given return if it was filed with your EFIN and software. As reported elsewhere, by IRS and others, the Security Summit efforts have significantly reduced ID fraud related to tax returns, and making it harder for fraudulent tax professionals was a big part of that.

"The desktop version of Lacerte requires being connected to the internet in order to log in (stupid, in my opinion) and what John of PA said is true: users who were logged in were able to stay logged in and work, but once they logged out or timed out, there was no getting back into the software. " This is almost certainly not a correct statement. What is more likely is that many users don't understand the difference between being disconnected from the internet, and failing to get a response from one server.
                  Last edited by Rapid Robert; 04-04-2018, 10:02 AM.
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Some people have said they have the same problems with their banks and credit cards when you say, "I am not so sure it's for security unless it's their security, I think it is for control. They can control us by making us log in online. Lets say you your behind in paying your bill, they can shut you out. Lets say their records say your behind in paying your bill, but it's a mistake and results in a dispute, your shut out. Intuit is usually on the cutting edge.?

Why is that?

Some paid tax preparers also "Lets say you your behind in paying your bill, they can shut you out." Why do they do that?

Do you think the "cyber thieves" had anything to do with the reasons for such security measures?
                    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                    X