Deducting Mortgage Loan on Commercial Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting Mortgage Loan on Commercial Property

This is probably something that I should know but have hit a brain freeze. I have a client with a commercial mortgage on her business condominium. She has received a 1098 from the lender showing $1,000 in interest paid. Her itemized expense summary from Quickbooks shows $8,000 paid to lender. On the Schedule C, I plan on entering the mortgage interest paid. Is there any place I should list the principal paid toward the loan as an expense of the business? If it makes any difference, the taxpayer operates as a self-employed business filing a Schedule C.

Originally posted by Steve Stang View Post
    This is probably something that I should know but have hit a brain freeze. I have a client with a commercial mortgage on her business condominium. She has received a 1098 from the lender showing $1,000 in interest paid. Her itemized expense summary from Quickbooks shows $8,000 paid to lender. On the Schedule C, I plan on entering the mortgage interest paid. Is there any place I should list the principal paid toward the loan as an expense of the business? If it makes any difference, the taxpayer operates as a self-employed business filing a Schedule C.
    You dont list the principle payments as you should be depreciating the Condominium.

Chris

Comment

Thanks. I am depreciating. I didn't think the principal would be deductible. As I said, I had a brain freeze yesterday. Thanks again.

Comment

The principle is covered by your depreciation deduction, so interest only goes as an expense deduction. Wishing all a smooth finish.

Comment

Working...
        X