Inheritance pay back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheritance pay back

Hello hope everyone is surviving the last rush.

My question is this - I have a client who back in 2014 received an inheritance which they did pay tax on, however last year 2017 - they had to pay a portion of this back, due to was contested. I am not sure how I need to handle this, do I amend the 2014 return or there another way for me to handle this? any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by thetaxman2200 View Post
    Hello hope everyone is surviving the last rush.

My question is this - I have a client who back in 2014 received an inheritance which they did pay tax on, however last year 2017 - they had to pay a portion of this back, due to was contested. I am not sure how I need to handle this, do I amend the 2014 return or there another way for me to handle this? any help is appreciated.
    I'm assuming you are talking about a state inheritance tax?

Comment

Someone receiving an inheritance doesn't pay any tax on that inheritance. The estate does.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Possibly he is talking about 1041 income passed thru on K-1 form.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
          Possibly he is talking about 1041 income passed thru on K-1 form.
          That's what I thought too -- to a layperson, that would seem like an inheritance.

To OP: Look for "claim of right" in IRS pubs of TheTaxBook.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Actually was not on a 1041. Was received on a 1099 R. However the Client had to pay a portion of this back to the step mom after the distribution was contested in court. I never seen this before and why I am asking for help.

I appreciate all that have answered.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by thetaxman2200 View Post
              Actually was not on a 1041. Was received on a 1099 R. However the Client had to pay a portion of this back to the step mom after the distribution was contested in court. I never seen this before and why I am asking for help.

I appreciate all that have answered.

Thank you in advance
              Sounds like a repayment.

Go to page 33 of Pub 525 for a pretty decent discussion.

Comment

Thank you for all the respones

Comment

Working...
                X