Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal MFJ with Illinois Spouse filing MFS BUT Indiana Spouse Cannot MFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal MFJ with Illinois Spouse filing MFS BUT Indiana Spouse Cannot MFS?

Recently married (Oct.2017) couple – husband (Indiana) moves to Illinois to be with his wife (full-year Illinois). Filing jointly for federal is significantly more advantageous for them (a difference of over $5500 re: MFS). Husband does not have a job (no IL income) and has not obtained an IL driver’s license or registered to vote in IL – he wants to file MFS as a Indiana resident. While Illinois allows his wife to file MFS even with a federal MFJ… BUT as I understand it, Indiana requires Indiana filing status to be the same as federal, i.e. MFJ. Any thoughts on what I can or should do in this situation?

If I'm understanding you, W was an IN non-resident, and H was a part year resident?

File IT-40PNR and use Schedule A to isolate IN sourced income.

If you are claiming that he was a full year resident, all income will be taxed by IN, but a credit for IL tax will be subtracted. This would not be advantageous, as the IL credit only lowers the IN state tax, and not the county tax.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this - very helpful! H is clearly a part-year IN resident with his move, so will file IT-40PNR with Sch A to isolate IN sourced income. The county tax will be based only on the IN sourced income - correct? W will file MFS in IL.
      Thanks again for your guidance!

Comment

Originally posted by phantan9 View Post
        Thanks for your thoughts on this - very helpful! H is clearly a part-year IN resident with his move, so will file IT-40PNR with Sch A to isolate IN sourced income. The county tax will be based only on the IN sourced income - correct? W will file MFS in IL.
        Thanks again for your guidance!
        On a PY resident, correct. On a full year resident return, W's earned income could be excluded from county by indicating she lived and worked outside of IN. If she had unearned income, I don't know of a way to exclude that from county tax on a full year resident return.

A couple heads up items if you aren't familiar with IN. Part of the fee to register vehicle is fed Sch A deduction; use only the net excise tax, not the wheel tax. IN return allows a deductions for real estate tax and rent paid in IN.

Comment

Working...
        X