Aoc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoc

New 50ish client had tuition expenses for last few years. Previous preparer claimed Lifetime instead of AOC and checked box 25 on 8863 that student had completed 4 years of post secondary education.

Client states that she attended college in the 80's but did not receive a degree. None of the 1098T's have the grad student box checked.

Does anyone know of a reason the would prevent me from amending prior years to switch from Lifetime to AOC?

I would amend, as I don't see anything that would disallow it.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, I probably shouldn't assume, but I assumed Kathy went through your questions to verify the taxpayer would otherwise American Opportunity Credit. Assuming those qualifications are met, I would amend because it is apparent the current school does NOT view her as completing a 4 year degree.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
        LOL. Yeah, I probably shouldn't assume, but I assumed Kathy went through your questions to verify the taxpayer would otherwise American Opportunity Credit. Assuming those qualifications are met, I would amend because it is apparent the current school does NOT view her as completing a 4 year degree.
        Thanks for confirming by position. The previous returns were from a recently retired EA that I've found to do excellent work. It had me second guessing myself that maybe I was the one misunderstanding the AOC qualifications.

Comment

Working...
        X