allowable medical deductions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allowable medical deductions ?

I have a couple that paid out substantial expenses in 2017 to a clinic for what they describe as in-vitro fertilization proceedures - not covered by their medical ins.

They also had sizable out of pocket prescribed pharmaceutical expenses, directly related to this - that was also not covered by their insurance. They described the drugs prescribed as "experimental" in nature - and probably why they weren't covered by insurance.

IRS pub # 502 pp #8 seems to confirm that the expenses for the in vitro proceedures would be allowed as medical expense deductions but I'm a little unsure about the drug expenses.

Anyone out there who might have thoughts on this ?

Thanks for your comments

Over the counter or prescription? OTC not deductible. Prescription deductible. Insurance coverage doesn't determine deductibility.
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

There are....

Originally posted by RWG1950 View Post
      I have a couple that paid out substantial expenses in 2017 to a clinic for what they describe as in-vitro fertilization proceedures - not covered by their medical ins.

They also had sizable out of pocket prescribed pharmaceutical expenses, directly related to this - that was also not covered by their insurance. They described the drugs prescribed as "experimental" in nature - and probably why they weren't covered by insurance.

IRS pub # 502 pp #8 seems to confirm that the expenses for the in vitro proceedures would be allowed as medical expense deductions but I'm a little unsure about the drug expenses.

Anyone out there who might have thoughts on this ?

Thanks for your comments
      drug plans that may not pay for certain legitimate "prescribed" drugs by a physician because it is not part of that particular drug plan and the individual pays out of pocket.

That does not mean it may not be deductible based on that. In addition to referencing IRS pub 502, also look at TTB 4-4. Again, think the key is legitimate "prescribed" drugs by a physician.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchrist View Post
        Over the counter or prescription? OTC not deductible. Prescription deductible. Insurance coverage doesn't determine deductibility.
        otc drugs may be reimbursable if purchased with a prescription.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X