Amending a Single return to MFJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending a Single return to MFJ

A taxpayer married in 2017 erroneously filed his taxes using the Single status, and already received his refund. What is the best way to correct this error and now file MFJ for him and his new wife? Obviously her info was not included on his return. I am trying to avoid needing to file Married Separately.
    Thank you.
    Joe

File a MFJ with a 1040-X. Make sure his name is on the top. Did the wife get her refund or was it a balance due.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

The wife hasn't filed yet. That's why I'm pondering this. I'm not amending her. Her's would be an original submission.

Comment

Originally posted by JMessCPA View Post
        The wife hasn't filed yet. That's why I'm pondering this. I'm not amending her. Her's would be an original submission.
        That make it even easier. 1040 MFJ and a 1040-X to correct the original return.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thank you. Have a terrific week!

Comment

I would amend the SINGLE return that was already filed, changing the filing status to JOINT.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
              I would amend the SINGLE return that was already filed, changing the filing status to JOINT.
              Yep, me too. Just add the other taxpayers income and info.

Comment

Thank you John and Twin Turbo. Greatly appreciated !

Comment

Working...
                X