solar panels and non-refundable tax credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solar panels and non-refundable tax credits

Saw a news item recently about an unhappy homeowner. Solar panel sales person said, it costs $30K but you get a $9K federal tax credit. So deal was made and payment plan worked out on that understanding. Now homeowner finds out since she already has zero federal tax liability, there is no magical $9K "refund" to be had. Firm claims they never give tax advice and have proof that homeowner acknowledged.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

The magical word the contractor should use is "Can get up too....blah blah blah, If... you qualify". Had a few of these situations here too.

Comment

Salesperson gave a similar song and dance to my wife's uncle (on SS with a small pension). I told him that the 30% tax credit was way over his tax liability so the excess will be carried over to the following year and so on. When he showed me the proposal the Solar sales guy prepared it showed the full tax credit as an offset (paid back as soon as received to the financing company). I told him to tell the solar guy to get off his roof!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
      X