Late 1099's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 1099's

Client didn't catch all the 1099's misc he needed to send. Should we go ahead and send them late? Has anyone been penalized for sending in late?

He needs to send them out.
    You said he didn't catch all of them. Did he send out some and found other subs later that were missed?

On the penalty side... I had two clients last year that did not send in 1099s on time. Neither got a penalty. Not saying they won't but it is always for the best to send them in.

Comment

I take this post to mean that the client did prepare and submit timely 1099's but missed a few. That's a pretty good argument for an inadvertent oversight. If a penalty were imposed, you'd have a reasonable basis for requesting forgiveness.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Ok, thanks. I was planning on sending but just wondered about penalty. Better late than never?

Comment

If IRS catches you not sending them at all, the penalty is 1000 dollars. So better to get hit with the late penalty than risk the latter.

Comment

Working...
          X