Tax Act ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Act ad

Seriously, there should be some way the IRS could get this ad taken down.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Very deceptive.
    Like a few years ago - another company's ad said "Talk to the box"

The ad that got me was when (I believe) Jackson Hewitt had a person laid out in a stretcher in an ambulance with an oxygen mask and the EMT by his side was expressing how desperate he was for oxygen in getting his tax return done.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Unless I'm totally out of the loop, non-safety shoes than can be used for other purposes are not a business deduction.

I'm not, but I know some people here are members of preparer organizations that may have some sway.

If IRS wants us to follow the rules, they need to give us some support and not allow TV ads that claim a deduction that is not true.

Comment

IRS can't be expected to monitor every commercial or ad or posts on social media!

It is up to us professionals to set them straight when we do the tax returns.

If one of my client's says, Well by hairdresser or neighbor said that it is deductible, then I say why are you paying me to do your tax return?

Just yesterday I had a lady cal me out of the blue to walk her through how to do her return on a website that she got confused. I inquired who she was and why she called me. She was the aunt of one of my client. She called her nephew for help and he told her to call me! Gave her my address and phone #.

Do you think she will call??

PS: I am not betting my house on it!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          IRS can't be expected to monitor every commercial or ad or posts on social media!

If one of my client's says, Well by hairdresser or neighbor said that it is deductible, then I say why are you paying me to do your tax return?
          The ad was on TV. Totally agree when it's a case of someone said, but IMO it is significantly different when a software company puts it out as a deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post

Just yesterday I had a lady cal me out of the blue to walk her through how to do her return on a website that she got confused. I inquired who she was and why she called me. She was the aunt of one of my client. She called her nephew for help and he told her to call me! Gave her my address and phone #.

Do you think she will call??

PS: I am not betting my house on it!
            I hope you hung up politely !! We get those a lot too. We just say sorry we dont give free advice to non clients. What gets me is we have our local HR Block call us all the time too for help with 1065's, How to enter or handle K1's and on 1041's !! Crazy !! We helped the first few times out of courtesy, but now, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
              I hope you hung up politely !! We get those a lot too. We just say sorry we dont give free advice to non clients. What gets me is we have our local HR Block call us all the time too for help with 1065's, How to enter or handle K1's and on 1041's !! Crazy !! We helped the first few times out of courtesy, but now, no way.
              I try to make the point curtly but not impolitely and I think they get it!

I have had the local VITA lady refer clients when it is too complicated for their office to handle. Generally it involves old ladies with K1 income or other trust income. I have a client who had not filed for 2 years because they told her she does not need to file if she gets SS. They never asked about trust income??
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

//it IS a reasonable consideration that some aspect of those costs could constitute a valid business deduction//

Not the shoes. Even if they were, one couldn't deduct $102. Converse shoes only cost $50 and cheap knock-offs that look identical cost $15 at WalMart.
                "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchrist View Post
                  //it IS a reasonable consideration that some aspect of those costs could constitute a valid business deduction//

Not the shoes. Even if they were, one couldn't deduct $102. Converse shoes only cost $50 and cheap knock-offs that look identical cost $15 at WalMart.
                  The shoes are what set me off. Seems like every year I have a least a couple people who want to take off some kind of apparel. My job requires me to dress up, I'm on my feet all day, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                    The shoes are what set me off. Seems like every year I have a least a couple people who want to take off some kind of apparel. My job requires me to dress up, I'm on my feet all day, etc, etc, etc.
                    We have several recording artists that we write off their stage clothing. Have truck drivers who write off gloves and certain clothing. Nursing professionals, Contractors, etc.., if its "legitimately" needed for the job then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                    X