If a taxpayer owns a second home but no longer itemizes deductions and wants to capitalize property taxes, adding them to his property's basis - assuming it's allowed, how is this best handled ?

Does some form of election statement go to IRS - in addition to the e-filed return ?

TTB page 4-14 seems to address this situation but doesn't seem to provide the mechanics.