Housing for worker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing for worker

Farmer provides a house for his farm worker. Convenience for farmer. Is the house depreciated as a farm building, rental with no income? Or something else?

See if....

IRS Pub 225 relates to your scenario... Excerpt:

Tenant House Expenses

You can deduct the costs of maintaining houses and their furnishings for tenants or hired help as farm business expenses. These costs include repairs, utilities, insurance, and depreciation.

The value of a dwelling you furnish to a tenant under the usual tenant-farmer arrangement isn't taxable income to the tenant.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Following article discusses it in more detail: https://www.journalofaccountancy.com...d-lodging.html

Comment

Could this be a barter?
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          Could this be a barter?
          In my neck of the woods we have a lot of tobacco and veg farmers and most of them provide some sort of housing for crop pickers who are transient laborers and almost all of them get paid in cash! I seriously doubt a laborer would consider this to be a barter.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            In my neck of the woods we have a lot of tobacco and veg farmers and most of them provide some sort of housing for crop pickers who are transient laborers and almost all of them get paid in cash! I seriously doubt a laborer would consider this to be a barter.
            Could it be that the low pay reflects a deduction for "housing"
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X