file MFJ or MFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

file MFJ or MFS?

I have clients married 47yrs. He has dementia and she has guardianship for him. County administrator is his conservator. Monies was split during 2017 and she is now receiving spousal support. Husband receives a pension for the income. Question is do they file joint or separate?

Any Soc. Security benefits ?

Comment

MFS or MFJ

Yes they both receive social security benefits. Hers goes into her account and his goes into his account, which is handled by the administrator.

Comment

Do it both ways to determine whether it benefits the clients one way or the other then let the client decide.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Filing separate will make the soc. sec. benefits definitely taxable.

Comment

MFS or MFJ

I guess my question is does it "have to" be filed MFS or can I file them MFJ

Comment

Dont see why they can not file together. They are still married. Especially with social security involved. Like mentioned run it both ways, see whats more advantageous.

Comment

You mentioned ....

Originally posted by FRAZZLED View Post
                I guess my question is does it "have to" be filed MFS or can I file them MFJ
                ..that an "Administrator" is involved. Are you discussing the issue of filing status with the "Administrator" in addition to the spouse?
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Filing MFJ is an election made by both spouses. Each spouse is either competent to make the election, or there should be someone with legal authority to make the election for them. Just follow the usual rules -- if they both agree to sign a joint return, and the tax result isn't significantly worse than MFS, go for it. (Even if the tax result is worse, they could still choose to file MFJ).
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
                  X