Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro-active irs p.i.n. In advance of filing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-active irs p.i.n. In advance of filing ?

Can a taxpayer who is concerned about the possibility of having someone else fraudulently file his/her return take pre-emptive action by obtaining a PIN# from the IRS for I.D. validation prior to actually filing their return ?

I'm aware that a PIN # has been available to people that have previously had their I.D. stolen and have had a bogus return filed in their name, but on NBC news last night (1-29-18) it seemed to say that people can and should obtain an IRS PIN # to pre-empt such tax theft even if they haven't previously been the victim of such I.D. theft. Is this correct ?

If such a PIN I.D. # from IRS is available for this protection, how does a person go about getting one ?

Ip pin

Only in certain states. I know DC & FL and a couple of others.

Comment

Watch out for "news" reports...

Originally posted by RWG1950 View Post
      Can a taxpayer who is concerned about the possibility of having someone else fraudulently file his/her return take pre-emptive action by obtaining a PIN# from the IRS for I.D. validation prior to actually filing their return ?

I'm aware that a PIN # has been available to people that have previously had their I.D. stolen and have had a bogus return filed in their name, but on NBC news last night (1-29-18) it seemed to say that people can and should obtain an IRS PIN # to pre-empt such tax theft even if they haven't previously been the victim of such I.D. theft. Is this correct ?

If such a PIN I.D. # from IRS is available for this protection, how does a person go about getting one ?
      Go to the 1-17-18 post addresses such info

Also

From IRS:

Q2: Who’s eligible for an IRS IP PIN?

A2: You're eligible for an IP PIN if:

We sent you a CP01A Notice containing your IP PIN, or
      You filed your federal tax return last year as a resident of Florida, Georgia or the District of Columbia, or
      You received an IRS letter inviting you to 'opt-in' to get an IP PIN.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X