Comprehensive list - Where to mail paper tax returns et al to the IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comprehensive list - Where to mail paper tax returns et al to the IRS

This updated IRS link lists a bunch of mailing addresses for various paper returns, starting with the state of residency.

Search by state and form number the mailing address to file paper individual tax returns and payments. Also, find mailing addresses for other returns, including corporation, partnership, tax exempt, government entity and other returns.

Don't think I would care to pre-print too many client mailing envelopes.

As an example, the list shows twelve different addresses for a resident of North Carolina.

FE

Well if you only cared about form 1040 you'd only have two addresses in NC rather than 13.

Comment

Mailing address you may CARE to use

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
      Well if you only cared about form 1040 you'd only have two addresses in NC rather than 13.
      Most interesting comment. ..

There are two addresses for a Form 1040
      There are two addresses for a Form 1040A
      There are two addresses for a Form 1040 EZ
      There are two addresses for a Form 4868
      There is a separate address for Form 1040V
      There is a separate address for Form 1040X
      (Yes, there is some overlap in the "payment enclosed" addresses)

What I "care about" is providing services to my clients. It is quite possible that I could use any of the thirteen addresses shown during a full tax season.

Of course, that point is essentially moot since I strive to do everything electronically (Form 8948 comes to mind) for my clients, who would be the first to admit I DO "care" about them.

As a side issue, I often "care about" posting useful information on TheTaxBook's discussion board in order to assist other tax professionals. Sometimes I really wonder if I'm not just wasting my time.

Have a pleasant day.

FE

Comment

Addresses seem to change each year which your post illuminates. I used to try to get ahead of the curve and have envelopes prepaid addressed. Grab and go.

Now, I print out the addresses on a sheet of labels. Sometimes, just the final number is the trailing 4-digit zip code changes which means tossing last year's left-over labels and printing all new ones.

Challenges every step of the way.

Comment

I print out labels for the Form 1040-V early. Then, as I find time, I print out labels for Forms 1040-ES as those clients come in later. That's only two addresses, and not everyone owes and even fewer pay ES. And, some of those use IRS direct debit &/or scheduled ES payments electronically.

In the rare case when I have a client who insists upon mailing in a paper return or is required to mail for some reason, I address a large mailing envelope when I assemble that return.

Very little work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            I print out labels for the Form 1040-V early. Then, as I find time, I print out labels for Forms 1040-ES as those clients come in later. That's only two addresses, and not everyone owes and even fewer pay ES. And, some of those use IRS direct debit &/or scheduled ES payments electronically.

In the rare case when I have a client who insists upon mailing in a paper return or is required to mail for some reason, I address a large mailing envelope when I assemble that return.

Very little work.
            I was getting fed up providing labels and envelopes, so I started pushing my clients to use direct pay for the last couple of years and fortunately most of my clients see the benefit. I still have a few old timers that refuse to pay anything electronically!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X