Someone from Missouri Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone from Missouri Please Help

Any help from someone familiar with Missouri withholding is appreciated.

We're having fits getting people's net pay to agree with last year, taking over for another payroll service. The old payroll service claimed to have expertise in all states.

1. Line 1 of the Missouri W-4: When someone claims "1" does this mean they are claiming one ADDITIONAL exemption or does it mean only themselves?
    2. Single vs. Married. From what I can read, if a spouse works, the effective withholding status is exactly the same as single for all calculations. This appears to be true regardless of which line is filled out. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    Any help from someone familiar with Missouri withholding is appreciated.

We're having fits getting people's net pay to agree with last year, taking over for another payroll service. The old payroll service claimed to have expertise in all states.

1. Line 1 of the Missouri W-4: When someone claims "1" does this mean they are claiming one ADDITIONAL exemption or does it mean only themselves?
    2. Single vs. Married. From what I can read, if a spouse works, the effective withholding status is exactly the same as single for all calculations. This appears to be true regardless of which line is filled out. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.
    Good grief, MO has a screwy withholding scheme. If you haven't already done so, you might want to look at this as to how it's calculated. http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Withholding%20Formula_2017.pdf

Comment

Absolutely True

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
      Good grief, MO has a screwy withholding scheme.[/url]
      Yes indeed they do. And I've been to the state website you linked, and don't know any more than I did to begin with.

Comment

Yes indeed they do. And I've been to the state website you linked, and don't know any more than I did to begin with.
        You just need to follow that math through. Since they use federal w/h as a deduction, have you verified that both systems are withholding the same amount of federal?

Comment

The Numbers need Definition

Kathy, I can't just "follow the numbers" if I don't know what the numbers are. If you don't know how many dependents to plug in and don't know if you're married or single, you can't just follow the math.

If anyone can give me definitive answers to the questions I had in the original post, I can finish the calculations.

Comment

Kathy, I can't just "follow the numbers" if I don't know what the numbers are. If you don't know how many dependents to plug in and don't know if you're married or single, you can't just follow the math.

If anyone can give me definitive answers to the questions I had in the original post, I can finish the calculations.
            Line 1 is for taxpayer only. Exemption worth 2,100 on annual basis
            Line 2 is for spouse. If spouse works, answer is zero. If non working, enter one and exemption worth 2,100 on annual basis.
            Line 3 is for dependents. Worth 1,200 each annually.

Annual standard deduction is 6,350 for single or married when both work, 12,700 for married when only one works and 9,350 for HOH.

Are you saying you are trying to guess what a person was claiming and don't have a W4?

Comment

No W-4

Of course I have a W-4. And I have interpreted the numbers in the same way you have. As I see it, if the spouse doesn't work, there is no effect to choosing marital status. I believe from reading, that the limit on the FIT deduction is the same as a single person.

It just doesn't work. Let it go. Thanks.
              Last edited by Snaggletooth; 01-09-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X