Company truckers per deim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company truckers per deim

So with the new tax bill company truckers lose the ability to take the meal per deim for OTR drivers?

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
    So with the new tax bill company truckers lose the ability to take the meal per deim for OTR drivers?
    Sch A 2% misc- including employee business deductions- goes away. I don't think there is any change for owner/operators or employer paying OTR employees tax free per deim.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
      That is a big hit for truckers who at one point owned their rigs and then when fuel prices shot up, became W2 employees. I have 3 clients in that category and now I have to break the bad news. Perhaps they will go back as 1099 independent truckers.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
        Perhaps they will go back as 1099 independent truckers.
        And then take a 20% deduction for FIT tax......

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
          And then take a 20% deduction for FIT tax......
          Yes you nailed it!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Time for them to band together and negotiate an accountable expense plan with their employer to receive reimbursements tax free. Lower taxable salary plus tax free reimbursements could put them ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              Time for them to band together and negotiate an accountable expense plan with their employer to receive reimbursements tax free. Lower taxable salary plus tax free reimbursements could put them ahead.
              Plus it better for the employer. Less matching FICA and lower wc insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                The Trucking companies around here don't want to pay for anything. My clients who are drivers have to pay for their own boots, safety gear, DOT physical etc.
                Very unlikely that the company will establish an accountable plan. They rather cut 1099 and save on workerc comp, FICA stste unemployment etc.

Comment

Working...
                X