Getting Form 1096 for 2017 before 1-31-18 due date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Form 1096 for 2017 before 1-31-18 due date

Murphy's Law. I order forms early every year from the IRS. This year, they arrived late coming yesterday. In the box, they sent only "1" Form 1096 rather than "100". Normally, I would just reorder more but with the new January 31, 2018 deadline looming, I don't know whether they will arrive in time.

Does anyone know where I can buy the red Form 1096? I'm going to need at least 50.

I'm not interested in e-filing them so that's not an option.

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
    Murphy's Law. I order forms early every year from the IRS. This year, they arrived late coming yesterday. In the box, they sent only "1" Form 1096 rather than "100". Normally, I would just reorder more but with the new January 31, 2018 deadline looming, I don't know whether they will arrive in time.

Does anyone know where I can buy the red Form 1096? I'm going to need at least 50.

I'm not interested in e-filing them so that's not an option.
    Amazon or any office supply company.

Comment

Order now and you should get in 7 days. Also if you have a local IRS office (far and few between now a days) they should have them.

Comment

I physically went to an IRS center large enough to have a regional taxpayer advocate service. No forms. Zero, zip, nada. I also rechecked the packing slip inside the shipping box from the IRS. The reason I got only one Form 1096 is because they're on back order. So no forms at the regional center and apparently no forms from wherever they ship them out from. By the way, I ordered these 2017 forms a year ago.

Just got back from Staples and bought a bunch of the forms.

You are required to use special forms and nobody has them useless, of course, you willing to shell out a ton of money to sharks swirling nearby in the tide. You can't make this stuff up.

Comment

I physically went to an IRS center large enough to have a regional taxpayer advocate service. No forms. Zero, zip, nada. I also rechecked the packing slip inside the shipping box from the IRS. The reason I got only one Form 1096 is because they're on back order. So no forms at the regional center and apparently no forms from wherever they ship them out from.

You are required to use special forms which no one has. I ordered the 2017 1099/1096 forms a year ago. Now, weeks away from a deadline with penalties potentially looming, nobody has them unless you're willing to shell out a ton of money to sharks swirling nearby in the tide. You can't make this stuff up.

Just got back from Staples and bought a bunch of the forms.

Comment

I've always just bought them. I know years ago the only way they came was for dot matrix printers. Do they now come laser or with pin strips that need to be torn off?

Comment

If you have just a few 1099 it may be cheaper to use one of the many online services. I have not used one in a while but I seem to recall it was around $2 per 1099 including mailing of taxpayer copy.

For the last couple of years I have been placing my order for W2, 1099, pubs etc. right after Thanksgiving. This year I got 3 packages from IRS because a lot of their stuff was on back order. I think if you order in January you are almost guaranteed to miss the 1/31 deadline if they are back ordered.
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                If you have just a few 1099 it may be cheaper to use one of the many online services. I have not used one in a while but I seem to recall it was around $2 per 1099 including mailing of taxpayer copy.

For the last couple of years I have been placing my order for W2, 1099, pubs etc. right after Thanksgiving. This year I got 3 packages from IRS because a lot of their stuff was on back order. I think if you order in January you are almost guaranteed to miss the 1/31 deadline if they are back ordered.
                I ordered the 2017 1099s/1096 LAST January. I ordered the 2018 1099s/1096s this month, along with ordering 2017 again when nothing had arrived yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                  I ordered the 2017 1099s/1096 LAST January. I ordered the 2018 1099s/1096s this month, along with ordering 2017 again when nothing had arrived yet.
                  The 2018 1099/1096 will not be available until later in the year. Perhaps ordering that along with 2017 slowed down the fulfillment process.

I order each year forms separately.

The 2017 1099/1096 should have been available by now. I received my first package 12/1/2017 and the second just before Christmas and the third 1/5/2018 for 2017 forms. I placed the initial order right after Thanksgiving 2017.
                  Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Ordered off irs.gov last week. Just received a tracking email from UPS that they are in transit and will arrive tomorrow.
                    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Tenenz is great. Prices are very low and shipping is super fast. You never have to leave your office and it's done.

For over 40 years thousands of Accounting and Tax firms like yours have taken advantage of our quest to provide the best quality products at can't be beat prices.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        Tenenz is great. Prices are very low and shipping is super fast. You never have to leave your office and it's done.

https://www.tenenz.com
                        I have never purchased tax forms from them, but it appears they sell part A, B etc and 1096 separately. I typically need less than 50 per year so at 10 cents a piece it is not as cost effective as the Free forms from IRS. You just have to order in advance to make the deadline.

Comment

We do ours online. We use Nelco, well I mean Greatland (name changed a few years back). Use to do them the old fashion way, but its so much more productive to do them online. Cost is $4.99 per and all you have to do is enter the payer and payee info. They do the rest. Plus if your client pays the same people year to year, then the following year all you have to do is enter the dollar amount. Payers and payees are saved from year to year. So much easier and quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
                            We do ours online. We use Nelco, well I mean Greatland (name changed a few years back). Use to do them the old fashion way, but its so much more productive to do them online. Cost is $4.99 per and all you have to do is enter the payer and payee info. They do the rest. Plus if your client pays the same people year to year, then the following year all you have to do is enter the dollar amount. Payers and payees are saved from year to year. So much easier and quicker.
                            Some of the Online service companies start at $4.50 including mailing and go down on a volume discount. They store the prior year data as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X