sepira age limit for contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sepira age limit for contribution

Is there a limitation by age to contribute to Sep-Ira?

From this page at IRS: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...-contributions

"Can I contribute to the SEP-IRA of a participant over age 70 ½?

You must contribute for each employee eligible to participate in your SEP, even if they are over age 70 ½. The employee must also take minimum distributions, however. If you haven’t contributed for an eligible employee in your SEP plan, find out how you can correct this mistake."
    jklcpa

Comment

can single member llc over 70 1/2 contribute to a SEP-IRA.

Is there limitation to an individual over 70 1/2 to contribute to a SEP-IRA without having any employees?

Comment

Originally posted by sheldon1 View Post
        Is there limitation to an individual over 70 1/2 to contribute to a SEP-IRA without having any employees?
        You will find the answer to that in IRS Publication 560.

Comment

Simple Answer is No

No age limit as long as there is earned income, subject to all the other comments that have been made.

I trust your question is for a self-employed SEP/IRA and not a "SIMPLE".

Comment

Simple

Why would you think the Simple has an age limit for being eligible??

Comment

Confused

Simple Plan is an employer based plan and I see no age limit as long as you are working with earned income.

Comment

Simple is a Double Entendre

Originally posted by JON View Post
                Why would you think the Simple has an age limit for being eligible??
                I don't necessarily think that. I haven't encountered the situation so I really don't know.

I cautioned readers from drawing conclusions because I used "Simple" in the title of my response. I didn't want someone taking the word and driving the train off the track.

Comment

While the IRS cautions us that FAQs are not a source of authority, I think you can rely on this Q&A found on the IRS site.

Can I contribute to a SIMPLE IRA of a participant over age 70 ½?

Yes, you must. Employees who are age 70 ½ or over may make salary deferral contributions to their SIMPLE IRAs. Employers must continue to make matching or nonelective contributions to employees’ SIMPLE IRAs even after an employee reaches age 70 ½. However, an employee who is age 70 ½ must also begin to take required minimum distributions from the account.
                  Employees may not be excluded from participating in a SIMPLE IRA plan based solely on their age.

Comment

Working...
                  X