ACA Individual Mandate repeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACA Individual Mandate repeal

Is the ACA Individual Mandate repeal in or out of the current bill?

If you are talking about the tax reform bill called the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act", I am pretty sure it is not in that.

I think Congress wants to pass the financial/tax reform laws separately from the Healthcare laws. The financial/tax reform is a time-sensitive thing, and is fairly likely to pass without too much trouble. But the Healthcare legislation seems like it is a much more difficult thing for anybody to agree upon, and may take a while.

If you are referring to another "current bill", it may help if you can clarify which bill you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      If you are talking about the tax reform bill called the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act", I am pretty sure it is not in that.

I think Congress wants to pass the financial/tax reform laws separately from the Healthcare laws. The financial/tax reform is a time-sensitive thing, and is fairly likely to pass without too much trouble. But the Healthcare legislation seems like it is a much more difficult thing for anybody to agree upon, and may take a while.

If you are referring to another "current bill", it may help if you can clarify which bill you are talking about.
      Thanks for the reply. I am asking about the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" and thought at one point it contained a repeal of the Individual Mandate.

Comment

I know the original House bill did not contain it. When the Senate bill originally came out, none of the articles that showed how it was different than the House bill mentioned the Individual Healthcare penalty, so I am pretty sure the Senate bill did not contain it.

I haven't paid attention to any changes since then, but I doubt if it was added after the original bills.

Comment

Go to the source...

Consider going to the U.S. Congressional web-site for information that would be up to date.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I've gone through the 247-page Senate markup and the 429-page HR-1 and did not see any provision relating to the repeal of the individual mandate penalty tax.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
              I've gone through the 247-page Senate markup and the 429-page HR-1 and did not see any provision relating to the repeal of the individual mandate penalty tax.
              I think the mark up you refer to was JCX-51-17. There was a modification to the mark up that included the elimination of the individual mandate. Take a look at JCX-56-17.

Regardless of anyone's politics, the rush job creates uncertainty to the contents of the bill. What was there yesterday may be gone today. 

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                Regardless of anyone's politics, the rush job creates uncertainty to the contents of the bill.
                The rush job is a key part of the politics being played.
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Senate Version

Repeal of the individual mandate is in the Senate Version but not the House.

If they leave it in, that will kill the bill. In spite of everything they say, the Republicans do not want the ACA to be repealed. Beginning with the John Roberts Supreme Court decision, and ending with the single defection of the John McCain vote, when it becomes critical, it won't happen.

They might have put this in the Senate version to kill the Tax Cut Bill.

I've already gone too far with partisan political messages. Please delete this or don't take it any further.
                  Last edited by Snaggletooth; 12-01-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

In the Senate version that was just passed, the shared responsibility payment goes away, but not until 2019.

Comment

Working...
                    X