No announcement yet.

tax cut bill- my understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand all the mechanics of it, but something about the way they set it up to be passed through reconciliation (only 51 votes needed in Senate) they are limited to 1.5T over 10 years of additional deficits on paper.

IMO, that's the reason estate tax repeal also does not happen fully until 2024; less years in the 10 year window for it to show up in deficits.

The $300 credit is only for years 2018-22. After that it goes away. We all know it will be extended as pols don't want to "take away" a credit. But, they only have to use the 4 years in their 1.5T calculations.

Comment

The detail of how they are coming up with the 1.5T can be found here: https://www.jct.gov/publications.htm...rtdown&id=5026

I've summarized it as follows:

Items that reduce revenue:
      rate changes -1089
      higher std deduction -913
      1600/300 credit -640
      subtotal -2642
      Items that increase revenue:
      repeal personal exemption 1568
      education changes 48
      some itemized ded eliminated 1253
      subtotal 2869
      Items that favor higher income:
      25% pass through rate -448
      amt repeal -696
      estate tax repeal -172
      subtotal -1316
      other provisions 160
      total individual changes -929

corporate -846
      foreign trans 285
      other 3
      total -1487

Sorry, the formatting looked right when posted, then it got all unformatted.
      Last edited by kathyc2; 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Seems to me the 25% flat corporate tax rate would be an INCREASE for small C corporations earning $120,000 or less. According to my back-of-the-envelope calculations they would reach a break-even point at roughly $119,650, although the incremental savings ramp up quickly after that point. But maybe I'm missing something.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

The proposed corporate tax would be 20% and 25% for personal services corporations. The breakeven should be at $68,750 so those corporations whose taxable income would normally be lower are getting a tax increase while those in excess of $68,750 are getting a tax break.

It does seem wrong to increase the tax on small corporations that would normally be in the 15% bracket.

Comment

Repeal of DPAD is going to hurt some of my clients. Just ran some numbers on a client that is in the 400K range, and has a 24K DPAD deduction. After running numbers for elimination of DPAD and some itemized, and using new rates, I'm coming up the they will go from 97K in FIT to 106K. If salary were adjusted to 70% to get "lower" pass through rate, FIT would be reduced by 10K, but increase in both side of MC and SS tax would be 12K.

Comment

Did I read that medical deduction is all but lost? My nursing home patients will pay tax ontop of the NH fees?

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
                Did I read that medical deduction is all but lost? My nursing home patients will pay tax ontop of the NH fees?
                House bill - yes
                Senate bill - no

Comment

I guess if they retain the differential tax rate between a Sch C accountant or a Sch C junk dealer e got a problem!
                  Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Does anyone read the committee reports?

I was at a continuing ed class Friday where the instructor said this bill is changing so fast that the only way to have the most up to date info is to read the committee reports. I have never done that, and wonder which committees I should be looking at. Has anyone set up automatic email alerts?

Comment

Originally posted by KarenMM View Post
                      I was at a continuing ed class Friday where the instructor said this bill is changing so fast that the only way to have the most up to date info is to read the committee reports. I have never done that, and wonder which committees I should be looking at. Has anyone set up automatic email alerts?
                      The best place to look is at the publications of the Joint Committee on Taxation. They are pretty much bi-partisan and give detailed reports including the current law and the proposed law. They are written in usually easy-to-understand language.

I'll past JCX-50-17 which is the report on the House Bill. I don't believe the Senate has given the statutory language yet but rather an overview of the provisions - hence no formal JCT report yet.

Comment

A webinar presenter said that the 70/30 split on pass through is mandatory, even for those that are not over the 25% marginal rate. Also, if their W-2 is not high enough the SE tax on the difference will be made up on the 1040. I haven't had a chance to verify or dispute, but if someone else has, please let us know. If true, that would really stink.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                          The best place to look is at the publications of the Joint Committee on Taxation. They are pretty much bi-partisan and give detailed reports including the current law and the proposed law. They are written in usually easy-to-understand language.

I'll past JCX-50-17 which is the report on the House Bill. I don't believe the Senate has given the statutory language yet but rather an overview of the provisions - hence no formal JCT report yet.

https://www.jct.gov/publications.htm...rtdown&id=5031
                          Here is one for the Senate:

Comment

Working...
                          X