States Requiring License Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

States Requiring License Info

Last year I knew NY and RI required license info. I just learned that VT did as well. I filed at least 2 VT returns which were accepted without license info. For 2017 I will get that info. What other states require driver's license info?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    Last year I knew NY and RI required license info. I just learned that VT did as well. I filed at least 2 VT returns which were accepted without license info. For 2017 I will get that info. What other states require driver's license info?
    Alabama is one.

Comment

I think Massachusetts is another

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
        I think Massachusetts is another
        For 2017 tax season MA did not require Driver's License # on tax returns. I am not sure if they will require that for the 2018 tax season.

It is a good practice to get that information upfront. For all new clients I scan their Driver's License or State issued Pic. ID
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Most states ask for that information, but as far as I know, only Alabama, New York, Ohio, and Rhode Island require it to e-file (Federal requires some type of input, even if it is to say the taxpayer did not provide a driver's license).

Here is an Intuit article about it:

Comment

Ohio does also.

Comment

When I inquired about this to my software company (Ultra Tax) during the past tax season, I was told that for 2017 virtually every state was going to require it. I don't know how true that is, even at this point.
              Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

that's what I was told too. all states will be requiring it this coming season

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
                  that's what I was told too. all states will be requiring it this coming season
                  Minnesota as specifically said it will not be required.

I suspect that whoever said that may have mixed up that most States are collecting that information (optional) versus being required.

Comment

No license

Question. What about clients who do not drive and do not have a driver license?
                    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

In Ohio if you don't have a drivers license they want your Ohio ID card number.

Comment

If the taxpayer has no driver, or non-driver license, there's a code to enter that states "Not Applicable".

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                          If the taxpayer has no driver, or non-driver license, there's a code to enter that states "Not Applicable".
                          Yes. So what is the purpose of driver license? If someone rather give your their employee badge or high school picture rather then their driver license would that be acceptable?
                          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

As you should well know - the primary purpose is to prevent identity theft fraud. Is it perfect? No.
                            As you should also know - it only works for e-filed returns.
                            I'm not the state authorities - ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                              Yes. So what is the purpose of driver license? If someone rather give your their employee badge or high school picture rather then their driver license would that be acceptable?
                              Presumably the state could decide to do additional ID validation checks on those returns where no driver's license is available. High school pictures / employee badges aren't accounted for in the IRS schema, - my guess is a state could have the ability to validate that the driver's license information entered matches the information in the state's driver's license database, but would have no way to do so for an employee badge.

Comment

Working...
                              X