Users of My TAXPrep Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Users of My TAXPrep Office

I am considering switching to this software. They have only been in business for five years. Could you be so kind as to give me some feedback?

-reliability
    -data transfer
    -customer service

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
    I am considering switching to this software. They have only been in business for five years. Could you be so kind as to give me some feedback?

-reliability
    -data transfer
    -customer service

Thanks!
    If I recall correctly I demoed this and Protaxpro.com and was not impressed for my requirements. If you are preparing run of the mill 1040 forms with one state return, it may suit your needs.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

We use Drake and they have been top of the line in every aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADE TREE TAX SERVICE View Post
        We use Drake and they have been top of the line in every aspect.
        I've tried Drake, and it falls short in several key areas, I'd rather retire than be forced to use Drake for my job.

I will reply to the thread topic in regards to criteria. It's not at all clear what you mean by "reliability" and "data transfer". Do you mean transfer from another product's prior year data (conversion)? Or data transfer between entities in the current year, such as parent/child, or 1040/K-1, or multi-state allocations, etc.? Reliability could refer to software stability (does it crash, or lose saved data?), or it could refer to accurate implementation of tax law and IRS filing restrictions, via various levels of diagnostics and errors.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Mytaxprepoffice

I am a user of MTPO for TY 2016, and I did not renew for 2017. I enjoyed the tax program, it is easy to use and the fact that it is "in the clouds" and have Online Chat. But they forms and computation is lousy is the reason I didn't renew. They beginning of the years I wasted a lot of time reporting unavailable or incorrect forms. i.e There was not a EIC Form, when I complaint about it, they told me Form 8867, I argued that we needed both. After a week, they developed Form EIC.
          Then I had a problem with the social Security Form it had the numbers all screwed up, it took them about 2 weeks to correct it, and when they did, it still was not computing properly but I went on and filed it because I was tried of waiting. Now, IRS is questioning the Social Security...I can go on and on. All I can say is either the software developers are mediocre or they were under a RUSH to develop the forms. Also, the programs is very inexpensive, but that shouldn't be a problem because I uses Taxact and they are inexpensive also, but very reliable.

I would advice you to try before you buy, they probably will let you file for free and perhap you can get and ideal from that. But I'm certainly not renewing!

Much Success,

Rochelle

Comment

Drake Software

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
            I've tried Drake, and it falls short in several key areas, I'd rather retire than be forced to use Drake for my job.

I will reply to the thread topic in regards to criteria. It's not at all clear what you mean by "reliability" and "data transfer". Do you mean transfer from another product's prior year data (conversion)? Or data transfer between entities in the current year, such as parent/child, or 1040/K-1, or multi-state allocations, etc.? Reliability could refer to software stability (does it crash, or lose saved data?), or it could refer to accurate implementation of tax law and IRS filing restrictions, via various levels of diagnostics and errors.
            I've used Drake in the past. I don't like it. It is to cumbersome to use. You had to go out of the program to much for me. I like programs where all the forms are within reach on the same page as I am working on.

Comment

Big supporter of Drake here, after converting to it about 6 years ago. Drake is a fantastic program for anyone who will spend the time to learn to use its features. However, a drive-by evaluation just won't cut it. Many people just won't invest the necessary time and effort, so they have lots of misconceptions. They don't appreciate its features & capabilities. Navigation between forms is simple, but not intuitive, so the casual user assumes it's complicated/cumbersome. It isn't.

There is a definite learning curve, but with a huge payoff for anyone with persistence. Drake is lightning fast and stingy with computer resources - it doesn't require a computer capable of running a nuclear plant. Drake's macros alone increase its efficiency tremendously. Startup, updates, and backups are a breeze - all fast & easy. It is hands down the best program available in its price range. (A price that has remained stable for many years, B.T.W.)
              Last edited by JohnH; 11-04-2017, 08:59 PM.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Switching tax-prep software is a monumental event, at least in my opinion. I've looked at switching to ATX, Drake, and Ultra Tax and demo'd all three. In the end, the concern over the learning curve and not putting the proverbial "x" in the right box kept me from moving from ProSystem FX. I love that software and it has worked well for me for many, many years. It is just darn expensive.

I would do a calculation to see what the real after-tax cost savings would be. In the end, it wasn't enough for me to tear down the house and start building again from scratch.

Comment

My tax prep office

I switched to Drake after 15 years with Taxwise wished I did it sooner. There was a learning curve and there still is a benefit. Besides the cost savings the support is great.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    Big supporter of Drake here, after converting to it about 6 years ago. Drake is a fantastic program for anyone who will spend the time to learn to use its features. However, a drive-by evaluation just won't cut it. Many people just won't invest the necessary time and effort, so they have lots of misconceptions. They don't appreciate its features & capabilities. Navigation between forms is simple, but not intuitive, so the casual user assumes it's complicated/cumbersome. It isn't.

There is a definite learning curve, but with a huge payoff for anyone with persistence. Drake is lightning fast and stingy with computer resources - it doesn't require a computer capable of running a nuclear plant. Drake's macros alone increase its efficiency tremendously. Startup, updates, and backups are a breeze - all fast & easy. It is hands down the best program available in its price range. (A price that has remained stable for many years, B.T.W.)
                    I'm with you JohnH. Switched to Drake after the ATX fiasco a few years ago. Grumbled through the learning curve, and then haven't looked back. it's fast, has excellent customer service, price hasn't changed since I started with them, has an easy network. It has its quirks, its "consistent inconsistency", but I will stay with Drake, if only for its customer service.

Comment

Working...
                    X