A 1009-R was issued by an investment firm that shows an excess contribution of $1,006 on a Roth IRA for 2016. The person is a dependent on his parent's 2016 tax return. Can the form 5329 be filed by itself or because he is a dependent does it have to go with his parent's return? The person had unearned income (ordinary dividends $382, cap gain distribution $354 and a realized long-term capital loss of $229 on stock transactions.) No earned income.
Thank you.