Client wants to know if ex claimed child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wants to know if ex claimed child

My client asked me if there was a way to find out if his ex-wife claimed their child for 2016. Is there a way I can find this out for him?

Before you question if - why not first determine which spouse had the legal authority to claim the child - custody, divorce decree, financial support?
    Then you can have the attorneys duke it out. If your client wasn't the custodial parent, then Form 8332 form would need to be signed by ex.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
      Before you question if - why not first determine which spouse had the legal authority to claim the child - custody, divorce decree, financial support?
      Then you can have the attorneys duke it out. If your client wasn't the custodial parent, then Form 8332 form would need to be signed by ex.
      Thank you, Uncle Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by PPJCPA View Post
        My client asked me if there was a way to find out if his ex-wife claimed their child for 2016. Is there a way I can find this out for him?
        Yes -- ask the ex-wife. Otherwise, no.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

IRS will not divulge person claiming a dependent

Simplest answer is "no" unless the ex-wife volunteers the information to you / your client.

I guess, in theory, your client could claim the exemption and then see what happens. But, even if he is late to the game, the only thing the IRS will divulge is the dependency exemption has already been claimed by person unknown. After that, independent IRS inquiries, for further information, to both parties who claimed the exemption would likely ensue.

It goes without saying, before you get too deep in the weeds, be sure the facts would support that your client *COULD* claim the dependent in the first place!!

FE

Comment

Try to efile his return with the child as a dependent if he qualifies to take the child. If the ex took the child without authority then he can paper file the return and the IRS will go after her.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X