Domestic Production Activity Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic Production Activity Deduction

My client is a 100% shareholder of an S Corp. His business is providing services to install electronic security systems for new construction sites (residential and commercial buildings), college campuses upgrading from key locks to fobs, and various installations of other electronic security systems both for renovations and new construction sites. My client does not purchase the materials he is installing for about 90% of his current contracts. His role in the construction is services.

A key factor worth mentioning is my client does have employees.

I looked at other posts regarding this topic on this forum and someone posted a very helpful article from Journal of Accountancy.

Every business in the manufacturing sector, whether small or large, should consider the manufacturing deduction under IRC ? 199. While section 199 comes with a complex set of rules, it nonetheless represents a valuable tax break for businesses that perform domestic manufacturing and certain other production activities. However, businesses should

In this article it did say, "Activities that are purely sales are not eligible for the deduction, nor are activities that are purely services, except for those in construction, engineering and architecture."

Would my client qualify for DPAD?

A suggestion

Enter the info into your software using zero for cost of goods sold. Enter an amount for wages to employees as well. See if the software gives you a DPAD.
    Also, my understanding is a contractor who goes into a house and replaces some sheet rock in one room can not count this income towards the DPAD. Repair work does not count.

Comment

Working...
    X