Recharacterized IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recharacterized IRA

Client recharacterized a 2015 Roth IRA to a 2015 Traditional IRA. This was done March 2016 before filing their 2015 Tax Return. Intent was to recharacterized 2015 Roth to 2015 Traditional. They took the 2015 Traditional IRA as a deduction on their 2015 Tax Return. From their Investment Provider they received a 2015 Form 5498 for the Roth and a 2016 Form 5498 for the Traditional plus a 2016 1099-R showing the recharacterized amount and earnings with a R code. Are the tax forms they received correct? They did not received a revised 2015 Form 5498 for the Traditional IRA. This is the first time I have seen a recharacterized IRA and appears the amount was moved to 2016 instead of 2015.

Thank you for your input!

John

Originally posted by JDW View Post
    From their Investment Provider they received a 2015 Form 5498 for the Roth and a 2016 Form 5498 for the Traditional plus a 2016 1099-R showing the recharacterized amount and earnings with a R code. Are the tax forms they received correct?
    Yes. See instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498.

For what to report on the tax return, see instructions for Form 8606, which discuss this specific situation. Basically, you have to attach a statement to the return explaining what happened. My software produces an IRA worksheet that I find very helpful to include with my statement.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Thank you Robert for your assistance.

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
      Yes. See instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498.

For what to report on the tax return, see instructions for Form 8606, which discuss this specific situation. Basically, you have to attach a statement to the return explaining what happened. My software produces an IRA worksheet that I find very helpful to include with my statement.

Comment

Working...
      X