Excess Casualty Reimbursement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excess Casualty Reimbursement

A client was rear-ended in her car. FMV of car was $12,000. Client is expecting insurance proceeds of $25,000.

Form 4684 has the provision for a casualty to result in taxable income. I've just never seen this on an auto accident. Need to get a straight answer as to how the client was able to cover a $12K asset with $25K in coverage. Doesn't make sense.

When I get to the bottom of this, I expect the excess is to cover medical damage. Only damage was a trip to clinic to check for whiplash. Minor expense.

The way I look at this, there will be taxable income if the medical expense is what I expect it to be.

Comments?

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    A client was rear-ended in her car. FMV of car was $12,000. Client is expecting insurance proceeds of $25,000.

Form 4684 has the provision for a casualty to result in taxable income. I've just never seen this on an auto accident. Need to get a straight answer as to how the client was able to cover a $12K asset with $25K in coverage. Doesn't make sense.

When I get to the bottom of this, I expect the excess is to cover medical damage. Only damage was a trip to clinic to check for whiplash. Minor expense.

The way I look at this, there will be taxable income if the medical expense is what I expect it to be.

Comments?
    I would expect the 25K payment includes additional items than for just the car. However, would you calculate gain on FMV rather than basis?

Comment

they do sell insurance that will reimburse the full price of the car instead of depreciated value, but I assume the cost of that is higher. maybe that's what happened here.

Comment

Can't put everything on Form 4684

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post

Comments?
        "Assuming" anything is, generally, not a productive route in the tax world.

Certainly there is a detailed explanation of the insurance payments??

I rarely deal with any Forms 4684 (that 10% AGI floor takes care of most), but to the best of my recollection I don't see how anything unrelated to the vehicle per se (was it a business asset?) should be considered there.

It could be there is a provision to reimburse the vehicle costs at replacement value. If so, then proceed. But if you are dealing with medical expenses, loss of income, towing, and who knows what else, I don't think Form 4684 is relevant for separate reimbursements.

FE

Comment

Working...
        X