The Tax Book: Real Answers, Real Fast!       HOME       ORDER       ABOUT US       CONTACT

Thread: Sale of rental that qualifies for exclusion

Threaded View

Default Sale of rental that qualifies for exclusion

Client used single-family residence as rental property for a couple years, sold it in 2016. Satisfies ownership/use tests and hasn't previously used the exclusion. Therefore, the only gain is on the depreciation allowable during rental period. Question is how to report it? I don't think 8949 applies b/c there's no taxable gain and that I only need to use a 4797. The only way I can see to get the figures to show correctly (i.e., with the depreciation as the only taxable gain) is to make basis adjustments to the building and land in the fixed assets module in order to exclude the gain not attributable to depreciation. I get the feeling I'm doing something out of whack. BTW, I use ATX tax software. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by mbigelow; 07-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Similar Threads

1. Reduced Exclusion - Sale of primary residence that was converted to rental
    By GTS1101 in forum Main Forum / Tax Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 03:25 PM
  2. Rental RE in a Trust - qualifies for $25,000 special allowance?
    By zhpcapital in forum Main Forum / Tax Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 03:33 PM
  3. 121 Exclusion - Installment Sale
    By JG EA in forum Main Forum / Tax Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
  4. Exclusion on sale of residence
    By oceanlovin'ea in forum Main Forum / Tax Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
  5. Home Sale Exclusion