Corrected Tax Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrected Tax Document

If a tax document was corrected and submitted, is the fact it was corrected indicated on an IRS Wage and Income Transcript from e-Services, or will it be necessary to file a Form 4506 in order to obtain the records to prove it was a correction and not an additional income item? This tax document may only be obtainable through the IRS at this stage.

what document are you referring to?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Corrected Tax Document

The taxpayer, an S Corporation shareholder, has two K-1s in his past wage and income transcript. I assume that one of these K-1s was a corrected version. The problem is I don't know which one is correct. For each of these K-1s in the transcript, it states Submission type - Original document, and there is no indication of either one having been corrected. Does a Form 4506 need to be filed in this case to learn which one of the K-1s was corrected? The taxpayer does not know the answer. Assume for purposes of this question that the answer can only be obtained from the IRS because the records are otherwise lost.

Comment

Another possibility

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
        The taxpayer, an S Corporation shareholder, has two K-1s in his past wage and income transcript. I assume that one of these K-1s was a corrected version. The problem is I don't know which one is correct. For each of these K-1s in the transcript, it states Submission type - Original document, and there is no indication of either one having been corrected. Does a Form 4506 need to be filed in this case to learn which one of the K-1s was corrected? The taxpayer does not know the answer. Assume for purposes of this question that the answer can only be obtained from the IRS because the records are otherwise lost.
        Well, you know what they say about "assume" . . .

Is there any possibility that BOTH documents are correct (and not "corrected") and, for any number of reasons, are unrelated to each other?

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          Well, you know what they say about "assume" . . .

Is there any possibility that BOTH documents are correct (and not "corrected") and, for any number of reasons, are unrelated to each other?

FE
          Excellent comment. Did not see a mention in the Original Post if the preparer of the S-Corp.'s return was contacted to find the reason(s) for the two filed K-1s. Might save time.
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-26-2017, 02:56 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
          X