Back Taxes - Incorrect Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Taxes - Incorrect Income

A taxpayer has not filed his tax return, and it was due more than three years ago. A substitute for return (SFR) was prepared by the IRS. He had a K-1 in the year in question showing a taxable distribution, but it should have been a nontaxable distribution. I could be wrong, but my understanding is the K-1 cannot be corrected now because of the statute of limitations. What is the best way then of resolving this type of situation with the IRS?

The partnership has to correct the K-1. That is the only way you can resolve the issue.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Back Taxes - Incorrect Income - continued

In this case, the taxpayer was a partial shareholder of an S Corporation. The S Corporation is no longer in existence. Is it too late to correct the K-1 itself? Can the taxpayer negotiate with the IRS regarding his individual taxes if he can present evidence that the K-1 was incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
        In this case, the taxpayer was a partial shareholder of an S Corporation. The S Corporation is no longer in existence. Is it too late to correct the K-1 itself? Can the taxpayer negotiate with the IRS regarding his individual taxes if he can present evidence that the K-1 was incorrect?
        Why don't you file a return and use a form 8082 for inconsistent treatment of the k-1? I would probably also use a form 8275 to disclose the situation and protect you and the taxpayer from 6694 and 6662 penalties.

Comment

the 3 year statute dictates whether or not a refund will be isssued. An incorrect return based on an incorrect K-1 can be amended when the correct K-1 is received.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X