Form 8962 - married during year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8962 - married during year.

I have a client who had insurance through the marketplace for the last 2 or 3 years. She was 64 during 2016. She got married in October. The man she married only received social security so he had not filed in several years. She did not report to the marketplace that she got married.
    I have followed the maze of worksheets and instructions between the form instructions and pub 974. The result is that she has to pay back the maximum of $1500. I know that can't be true since she was only married for 2 months of the year.
    I am in some serious need of help with this form and worksheets.........any takers, please PM me and I will get with you for some help. I called IRS and talked to a lady. She helped me with the worksheets for a while. As far as we went I was doing it right. Only one figure was $1 off. but she said she wasn't supposed to do the forms for us and had helped me more than she should have already.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I know that can't be true since she was only married for 2 months of the year.
    Unfortunately, that isn't necessarily the case. Marriage messes things up, and the "alternative" calculation for the marriage year often does not save anything. However, if his income is only Social Security, there might be an error somewhere.

If you post (1) the numbers from the 1095-A (assuming all months are the same, the three numbers on Line 33), (2) her income, and (3) his income, we probably can help you.

Also:
    Is he on Medicare?
    If not, what is his insurance situation?
    Is the number for the SLCSP on in column B of the 1095-A the one that you are using?
    Are you preparing a Joint tax return?

Comment

Working...
    X